Home Open Account Help 370 users online

Model Railroading > Model railroad to sell/give away question

Date: 02/20/18 08:12
Model railroad to sell/give away question
Author: Winks

My father in the ninety's, living in Wilmington, NC, has a HO/HOn3 model railroad that he may need to donate or sell as he may be moving. Most of the locos are brass, the layout is in a second floor and would need to be dismantled to move out.

Would anyone know of an organization or person that would take it? I am aware of the Wilmington RR Museum and will speak with them in the future, but the layout is really not in their mode of operation.

Attached are a few photos. Thanks in advance for any info.

Date: 02/20/18 08:24
Re: Model railroad to sell/give away question
Author: PeaBock619

What kind of trains are they? PM sent too

Date: 02/20/18 09:10
Author: CPR_4000

Entire railroads are tough to dispose of, especially if they're built to fit a specific space. Might be better to sell off the rolling stock and structures and scrap the rest?

Date: 02/20/18 09:58
Author: Westbound

In these few photos I can see that a lot of work went into building this model RR. Nice work!

One suggestion: Take a lot of photos and keep a record or album of this layout since it is well worth remembering once it is gone.

Date: 02/20/18 16:59
Author: czuleget

Just remember to take an inventory of your brass locomotives. They could be worth several thousand dollars depending on what you’ve got. If you Dad has got some or all of the boxes, as a reference for make and model of each. You can look on eBay and see if there’s any thing Selling on eBay of equal type. Even if they’re painted or if they’re not painted they could be worth a lot as well. Some of the major hobby shops will buy collections.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/20/18 19:15
Author: wpdude

And not to sound bad, but there are some people in this hobby who will offer you "penny's on the dollar" to get your fathers lifetimes work, to mark up and sell at huge profit. "It's mostly junk" and they will offer you cash. And then they sell for real value at huge profit to themselves. I know who you are, hang your heads in shame, lucky i did not put your names in this post!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0385 seconds