Home Open Account Help 318 users online

Model Railroading > Winterail wonderings.

Date: 03/13/18 23:33
Winterail wonderings.
Author: railwaybaron

I'm going to the 40th Winerail "slide" show and railroadiana meet on this coming Saturday in Corvallis, OR. Then I'll head up to the Portland, SEATAC and Seattle areas? Can any TO modeller suggest train shops in these locations with good stock and maybe even old stock on consignment? Thanks in advance!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/18 08:37 by railwaybaron.

Date: 03/14/18 01:02
Re: Winterail wonderings.
Author: Notch16

In Portland, we like Whistle Stop Trains. Good selection on display, always worth the voyage.

https://wsor.com

~ BZ

Date: 03/14/18 06:30
Author: KM-ML4000

Also, The Hobby Smith, and Tammie's Hobbies.

http://hobbysmith.com/

https://www.tammieshobbies.com/

Date: 03/14/18 07:51
Author: BAB

I agree about Hobby Smith good selection and nice to deal with I do some over the phone and shipped. And then the other thing, a friend will be going up that way but not to the Winter rail via a ride in someones private coach tacked onto Amtrak the same weekend.

Date: 03/14/18 08:37
Author: seod

There is Online Trains in Tacoma http://www.onlinetrains.com/ it mostly has used stuff from estates so you can find some gems there every now and then. They do have a bunch of new stuff too.

Scott O'Dell

Date: 03/14/18 09:28
Author: fbe

While in Corvallis try Trumps Hobbies on the northwest side in a small mall. Not what you will find in Portland but worth a stop.

Date: 03/14/18 09:57
Author: TCnR

Railsmith worked out for me earlier this year, they seem to carefully pick and choose what they have on the shelves. They carry some local small volume producers as well as a limited amount of the volume producers. Kinda challenging to find, the GPS worked out well for finding them.

The Whistle Stop is on the same side of the traffic mess. Good selection of everything, lots of shelves packed with kits and parts.

Tammy's is on the west side of the traffic mess near 26 and 217. Typical Walthers based stock. Found another shop out in Hillsboro, seemed to be limited RR stock but the guy behind the counter was pushing DCC equipment at the time. Lots of floor space with lots of other hobbies in there.

Good topic.

Date: 03/14/18 10:36

When leaving Hobbysmith, turn left and walk 2 doors to find Baskin Robbins which is a good way to fortify your entry back into tracfic.

If you are coming in I-84 from the east, exit south on 181 and drive to Division. Go west from there to Whistle Stop and avoid that I-84 to I-205 cluster. If you are coming in from the west or south I-205 to Division is usually easy though keeping track of the exit proceedure is a challenge.

Date: 03/14/18 11:55
Author: chakk

The Electric Train Shop in Burien, WA (near SEATAC airport) has quite a bit of older model rr equipment, including some HO cars manufactured by Varney.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/18 15:39 by chakk.

Date: 03/14/18 18:36
Author: Jeff

Whistle Stop is about 1 mile EAST of Interstate 205. 11724 SE Division St. No criticism of the first poster intended.

Date: 03/14/18 19:20

Agreed, Whistle Stop is east of 205 but avoid the mess of an interchange getting from I-84 to I-205 south just to need to back track east on Division St.

If you exit I-84 for the 181 street then you come into Whistle Stop from the east driving west on Division. You can save what might be an hour delay getting from I-84 to I-205.*)

Jeff Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Whistle Stop is about 1 mile EAST of Interstate
> 205. 11724 SE Division St. No criticism of the
> first poster intended.

Date: 03/16/18 19:36

Both Portland hobby shops reported travelers for Winterail supporting their stores today and were glad to have the business.

The Baskin Robbins next to Hobby Smith stocked the first tub of Lemon Custard today. Like a robin, one of the first signs of Spring.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0396 seconds