Home Open Account Help 241 users online

Model Railroading > new HO layout, electrical requirements question...

Date: 03/16/18 16:45
new HO layout, electrical requirements question...
Author: Fizzboy7

As posted earlier, I am currently building an 18' x 11' room for a future HO layout. I will be using three analog MRC Tech 7 power packs, or two of those and one basic MRC DCC power pack. I do not plan on having any further electrical needs, other than maybe some signaling at one grade crossing and trackside signals at a few locations (2 or 3). The room will come with four, standard wall outlets. Do I need to upgrade to a 20 amp circuit for the room? The builder is asking what he thinks I'll need.

Thanks,

Jason

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/18 16:48 by Fizzboy7.

Date: 03/16/18 16:57
Re: new HO layout, electrical requirements question...
Author: santafedan

It depends on how much lighting you need. The higher the layout the more light you need.

Date: 03/16/18 17:18
Author: calsubd

ask your electrician what the code is for spacing outlets, I have outlets every 6-7 feet around my family room 15x18

Ed Stewart
Jacksonville, FL

Date: 03/16/18 17:32

santafedan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It depends on how much lighting you need. The
> higher the layout the more light you need.

There will be four standard can lights in the ceiling, one near each corner of the room. Also one j-box in the center of the ceiling for a ceiling fan, which I won't be using.
Layout height will be pretty standard, like to waist level or a shade higher. I don't anticipate needing any more lighting for the room itself.

Date: 03/16/18 17:41
Author: PHall

Over build the electrical system now while it's easy and cheap to do.
I would put an outlet every 4 feet on the walls and put a 4 plug outlet, on a separate circuit breaker, where you plan to plug in your power supplies.

Date: 03/16/18 18:25
Author: fbe

Four light cans will not be enough to give the room a nice even light. Four outlets wont even be close. Ask the contractor to put all the outlets on a single switch so you can kill all layout power when you leave the room.

Do it now when it is all open space.

Date: 03/16/18 21:11
Author: Westbound

My HO layout (my 5th, so I have a little experience) is in a dedicated room very close in size to yours. Suggest you keep these things in mind as you plan:

1. You want more lighting. I use track lighting with 16 "cans" spread over 2 overhead tracks. Each can holds an LED equivalent to 100 watts.
2. Two light switches control the LEDS. No dimmers as I want to see everything and gave up "night running" years ago.
3. I have 5 electrical outlets and a couple of those have multi-outlet power strips only partially in use.
4. Think ahead as to how many things you will want to plug into an outlet and where in your train room those things will be. There will be power packs, 12 volt converters, radio, telephone power supply, power tools (occasionally) and a vacuum (regularly).
5. My moderate climate still needs the occasional use of a small electric heater so that pulls a few amps on a day or night like today. On most summer days I have a large fan in service at chest level. No overhead fan as I don't want a wind on my railroad.
6. It's been said before but you need at some place a single power switch that all your railroad outlets - and nothing else - plugs into.

It took a lot of planning and a bit of delay but sure makes for a better place when you want to run those trains.

Date: 03/17/18 04:50
Author: JUTower

Good advice given on this thread. We just finished our basement, and the "family room" plans also include shelf running HO scale. We pre-ran wire runs for several extra outlets, low voltage cable, and even under-cabinet lighting (for the upper level of the double-level track configuration).

Even in the end, though, I wish I had also planned for track lighting because I can see that it will be necessary. Fortunately, the roof joists run the correct direction to make that addition "not too difficult".

Date: 03/17/18 05:42
Author: jdw3460

I agree with all of the above. I do think track lighting is best for the railroad.........allows quite a bit of adjustment after you see what's needed on the layout. Also, now it's possible to use LEDs everywhere, which drastically reduces the power requirement. I prefer a warm color temperature, which I think makes the layout look a lot more realistic. My experience has been with upgrading and improving old club layout lighting systems, which can be a real bummer. You have a big advantage when starting from scratch.

Date: 03/17/18 09:23
Author: SP4360

On my 10x16 "Fubar Flats" layout I used 3 double set recessed LED tubes 4000k. It gives off a nice even light without any hotspots. The outlets are spaced about 4ft apart, the doubles being hot on the right and switched with the single outlets on the left. The room is split on 2 15A breakers, 1 long and 1 short wall. The "hot" plugs have their own 15A breaker.

Date: 03/17/18 10:04
Author: ChrisCampi

Twenty amps is an inexpensive upgrade, so why not? Add an extra outlet or two where you plan on spending the most time working or operating. Like everyone else here, more lighting! Your not getting any younger and now is the best time to do it.

Date: 03/17/18 11:09
Author: wpdude

My layout room was designed as a "media" room, so it came a little over-built. If you are starting from scratch, a few extra bucks spent now will pay huge dividends down the road. One day you will say, "I'm glad I asked on TO". LOL!

Date: 03/17/18 23:53

Some great advice all around here! Thanks to everyone. I agree, now is the time to add things if it's not too expensive. I think the added 20 amp circuit sounds like a must, so that will be a start. More to come...

Jason

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0645 seconds