Home Open Account Help 345 users online

Model Railroading > See through GE radiator screens?

Date: 03/20/18 18:57
See through GE radiator screens?
Author: cgbspender

Hi everyone. I've recently started my first journey into loco detailing by picking up an Atlas HO c40-8W. It looks pretty good out of the box but I can't stand the fake image of a rad fan housing that they molded into the rad side-screens (see first pic). I'd like to cut the area out and install something that would give me that see-through effect (the Scale Trains Tier-4s have finely perforated sheets which do the trick pretty well). Has anyone ever tried this? Or know of anyone model parts or various mesh materials that could be spliced into place and pull it off? Thanks

Date: 03/20/18 19:34
Re: See through GE radiator screens?
Author: sixaxlecentury

KV Models has said they are working on new GE parts, might be worth dropping them a request.

http://kvmodels.com/

Date: 03/20/18 22:35
Author: tunnel88

I've never come across KV Models but they have some nice looking parts, site bookmarked for future reference!

Date: 03/21/18 03:50
Author: NSTopHat

Overland Models used a perforated screen mesh they used, and it was corrugated. This mesh is still available from Bill Davis at American Scale Models. Bill also has a full line of brass detail parts that Overland once offered. Some are still old OMI inventory and others are recent parts runs from ASM.

Russ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/18 03:52 by NSTopHat.

Date: 03/21/18 14:01
Author: cgbspender

That is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0358 seconds