Home Open Account Help 344 users online

Model Railroading > are there any machinists on here?

Date: 03/21/18 10:30
are there any machinists on here?
Author: mlwlover

i want to turn down code 110 wheels down to code 88 and it looks like the taig lathe would do the job.it seems like everything is seperate, can anyone help with exactly what i would need?

Date: 03/21/18 12:01
Re: are there any machinists on here?
Author: sixaxlecentury

Are we talking HO wheels? Unless its a specialty wheel...just go buy new ones. A machinist is going to charge you north of 50$ an hour, and any decent lathe is around 2k.

Date: 03/22/18 07:20
Author: HB90MACH

If you are looking to learn machining not a bad way to start. If you just want to turn them down. Cheaper to buy new. You will destroy quite a few before you get the hang of it. Good machine tools will cost. The model railroader board has a couple machinists too. Thereis at least one here too. It is a good skill to learn since it will carry over to every day life things you can do to make side cash. Actually interested in seeing how you progress if you do decided to learn

Date: 03/22/18 07:22
Author: HB90MACH

Look at the post. Livin shakespearean large. From a few days back

Date: 03/22/18 08:09
Author: mlwlover

yes i have never machined before and i know i will probably ruin a lot of wheels learning, but i have hundreds of them. i am determined to learn how to do this. the code 88 wheels for locomotives out there are very poor quality and expensive. to do the rest of my locos will cost over 1k and everything i purchase now has code 110 wheels, i already spent 1k for exactrail and intermountain wheels for my frieight cars which are very high quality.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0272 seconds