Home Open Account Help 295 users online

Model Railroading > Question About Shapeways

Date: 04/14/18 08:40
Question About Shapeways
Author: wabash2800

I recently purchased a unique plastic part (a loco smokestack) I can use from Shapeways for a kitbash. However, since I am working on a brass loco I would prefer it made from brass so that I can bake it along with the rest of the loco. This would also guarantee a more uniform finish.

I know that Shapeways items are 3-D printed from different kinds of materials including brass. Would I contact the designer to have it made in brass? Or is this possible through Shapeways? Is it possible to have it made from brass instead of plastic without a major design change? Has anyone else run into this dilemma?

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Date: 04/14/18 08:45
Re: Question About Shapeways
Author: PHall

You answered your own question. Contact Shapeways. They're about the only ones who can answer your questions with "real" answers.

Date: 04/14/18 08:57
Author: sixaxlecentury

Depending on the file, you may or may not be able to have it made in brass. I cant say I have tried printing in brass yet. The issue is how its drawn, what the drawing tolerances are, and what the minimums are for the material.

Date: 04/14/18 09:17
Author: ts1457

I wonder if any of the plastics will burn out and could be used in a "lost wax" casting process?

Jack

Date: 04/14/18 12:02

Jack:

If you are suggesting that I use a "lost wax process" with that part to make a brass casting, I wouldn't, even if I could, as I respect the work that the designer did to make that part and wouldn't infringe on his intellectual property.

Victor A. Baird

ts1457 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wonder if any of the plastics will burn out and
> could be used in a "lost wax" casting process?
>
> Jack

Date: 04/14/18 12:13
Author: ts1457

wabash2800 Wrote:
> Jack:
>
> If you are suggesting that I use a "lost wax
> process" with that part to make a brass casting, I
> wouldn't, even if I could, as I respect the work
> that the designer did to make that part and
> wouldn't infringe on his intellectual property.

You can skip the self-righteousness. I do not appreciate your implication.

For personal use I do not see the problem if you are burning (i.e. destroying) one of his Shapeways pieces for each brass piece you obtain. You would probably have to work with the designer anyhow to get him to scale the piece up to account for shrinkage.

Now if you used only one of the Shapeways pieces to create multiple wax pieces for the casting process, you do have a legal and ethical problem.

Jack

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/18 12:18 by ts1457.

Date: 04/14/18 12:54
Author: BAB

ts1457 Wrote:
> wabash2800 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Jack:
> >
> > If you are suggesting that I use a "lost wax
> > process" with that part to make a brass casting,
> I
> > wouldn't, even if I could, as I respect the
> work
> > that the designer did to make that part and
> > wouldn't infringe on his intellectual property.
>
> You can skip the self-righteousness. I do not
> appreciate your implication.
>
> For personal use I do not see the problem if you
> are burning (i.e. destroying) one of his Shapeways
> pieces for each brass piece you obtain. You would
> probably have to work with the designer anyhow to
> get him to scale the piece up to account for
> shrinkage.
>
> Now if you used only one of the Shapeways pieces
> to create multiple wax pieces for the casting
> process, you do have a legal and ethical problem.
>
> Jack

I see no problem with his answer yours I do get off of it some people respect others work. Know several in the large scale hobby that pirate parts that others have made. Have a friend who did his own lost wax parts, had a fellow who wanted to buy some and he refused for that reason to sell him a set. The fellow just by the way stated in very nice terms why he does not and I along with him feel the same way.

Date: 04/14/18 17:39
Author: TorchLake

You need to look at the materials listing on Shapeways. They do what is basically lost wax casting for some items, and if is not offered “up front”, sometimes you can work with the owner of the design to have it done.

We have a group called "Fellowship of the Truck" who are devoping generic 3 3/4 x 7 journal size arch bar truck castings which may be used to make a wide variety of 3' gauge trucks in 2 1/2” to 1' scale. This is our journal lid, designed in 3D CAD, printed and lost wax cast in brass by Shapeways, used as a master pattern to make rubber spin cast moulds to mass produce in white metal.

The journal box patterns and cores were designed in CAD, printed in the white plastic which were used to make tooling resin moulds and copies which were mounted to a matchplate and sent to the foundry to be cast in iron.

Date: 04/14/18 18:44
Author: pullmanboss

Shapeways' brass parts aren't actually printed (laser fused) brass - they print a wax pattern and use that to make a lost wax brass part.

Here's a quote from their design guidelines for brass:
"For Brass, the maximum bounding box is determined by the size of the printer we use to create a wax version of your product, as well as the limitations of the plaster mold it is cast in."

Tom M.

Date: 04/14/18 20:00

Thanks all. I'll contact Shapeways/the designer and see what might be done. And if it can't be done (cost effectively), I still have something to work with but won't be heating it in the oven with the rest of the loco...<G>

Victor A. Baird

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.054 seconds