Home Open Account Help 333 users online

Model Railroading > Athearn UP SD70M

Date: 04/16/18 06:48
Athearn UP SD70M
Author: electromac

Athearn please produce the Union Pacific Olympic Paint Scheme on the SD70m....

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/18 14:39 by electromac.

Date: 04/16/18 06:51
Re: Athearn SD-70m
Author: toledopatch

electromac Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Athearn please produce the Olympic Paint Scheme on
> the SD70m....
> PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

Don't hold your breath. There are seriously expensive licensing issues with that, if it can be licensed at all. Decals aren't even commercially available for that livery:

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?3,3426089,3426089#msg-3426089

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/18 06:54 by toledopatch.

Date: 04/16/18 06:59
Author: PHall

toledopatch Wrote:
> electromac Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Athearn please produce the Olympic Paint Scheme
> on
> > the SD70m....
> > PLEASE!!!!!!!!!
>
>
> Don't hold your breath. There are seriously
> expensive licensing issues with that, if it can be
> licensed at all. Decals aren't even commercially
> available for that livery:
>
> https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?3,
> 3426089,3426089#msg-3426089

Yeah, you're paying Licensing fees to two different organizations/companies.
The US Olympic Committee and Union Pacific. Neither of which miss many opportunities to collect their licensing fee.

Date: 04/16/18 07:28

Im willing to pay 280.00 for each one......just like the SD70AH....  #1943.

Date: 04/16/18 08:38
Author: CSX602

Here is the reality...

Sadly, the US Olympic Committee (and International Olympic Committee) does not allow ANY new items with any of the logos associated with the 2002 Salt Lake Winter Olympics. (No models, no clothes, nothing...) If any are announced the manufacturer will likely be told not to do them and destroy any they made. On top of that the UP SD70M Salt Lake prototypes originally had both Chevy and Coke logos too. (IOC/USOC does that to maximize the money they can ask sponsors for upcoming Olympics. They can't let BK do items with logos for past Olympics while McDs is paying millions to be official sponsor for next one)

The only Salt Lake Olympic logo items that were allowed were those that were granted licensing in the years before the 2002 Salt Lake Olympics and got all the necessary licensing well before that (which wasn't cheap as some advertisers had to pay millions to be official sponsors and use the logos). Others were granted very limited rights with strict production limitations.

Back when OMI got permission and all the licencing (from SLOC, USOC, Union Pacific, Coke, Chevy, EMD and maybe others...) to do their limited run of 100 sets of the HO UP Salt Lake SD70Ms and 75 (I think) passenger car sets they were done under written agreement that all which had not been sold by some date (which I believe was 1 year after the Salt Lake games) would have had to be DESTROYED. The reason that OMI did not the do the special torch relay cauldron car was because the delivery time would have been too close to (or in worst case after) the date when all the Olympic items stock had to be destroyed. OMI couldn't risk having to destroy the entire production if it ran late. Other model manufacturers probably didn't like those production limitation terms and thus didn't apply.

So in 2018 asking any manufacturer - in any scale - to produce the Salt Lake Olympic units (or any other Olympic units) is simply asking them to do something they would like to do, but can't... So at this point the choices on the UP SD70Ms are finding somebody to do the decals and paint them, or to find the OMI models.

PS. There were different agreements in place for the '84 LA Olympics and '96 Atlanta Olympics. Microscale reportedly has even been instructed to not produce any more decals for those. The '96 SD40-2 pair - which had Coke logos Microscale had to leave out - were only in the special paint for a few months, so to many it is surprising that the Salt Lake UP 2001/2002 SD70Ms have retained their paint so long, and more surprising that they were touched up recently.

(Darn, I can't seem to spell today... Thankfully there is the edit feature)

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/18 09:26 by CSX602.

Date: 04/16/18 09:47
Author: ghemr

electromac Wrote:
> Athearn please produce the Union Pacific Olympic
> Paint Scheme on the SD70m....
> PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

What was their response when you wrote or called them?

Date: 04/16/18 10:45

ghemr Wrote:

> What was their response when you wrote or called
> them?

If he contacted them he probably got the same info I did when I asked Athearn about it 15+ years ago, and again years later...

BTW, Athearn had the Genesis SD70M - although not fully RTR yet - back when the Salt Lake Olympics occurred. I got a couple of the regular paint SD70Ms in 2001 and was hoping to get Athearn Olympic units too. I'm sure they would have liked to have been able to offer them for the last 17 years... I got the impression that way back then they didn't want to go through all the licensing hassles and costs for a model they could only make a very limited single run of.

It isn't like the UP #1943 Spirit unit where the only licensing is UP, and thus we are going to have models by multiple companies (Athearn and MTH to start) and likely several runs...

Date: 04/16/18 16:29
Author: ghemr

I get a feeling CSX602 is right---there's just too much red tape to produce both locomotives. I don't doubt they'd sell out very fast....

Date: 04/16/18 19:02

By the way, I do recall that when OMI did the Salt Lake Olympic SD70M pair that they were quite a bit more expensive than the other SD70Ms... but not to the really high additional amount per unit that the Boy Scout UP #2010 was. (That was another one with big licensing hurdles and costs for the 15 produced)

As for the Salt Lake SD70Ms, at this point it would be more than just red tape... It would be getting the USOC/IOC to reverse their stance/ban that they have had for more than 2 decades.

PS. Did anybody else see in the Rapido newsletter why they will not be producing the wrapped F40PH-2D units in the Spiderman II promo scheme?
(Disney and $50,000...)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/18 19:15 by CSX602.

Date: 04/17/18 13:02
Author: toledopatch

CSX602 Wrote:
> PS. Did anybody else see in the Rapido newsletter
> why they will not be producing the wrapped
> F40PH-2D units in the Spiderman II promo scheme?
>
> (Disney and $50,000...)

I certainly saw that and nodded silently in agreement.

Bet you never see anyone produce commercial models of Amtrak's "Disney on Ice" or "Monopoly" engines, either.

Date: 04/18/18 10:17
Author: crossbucks

And Athearn will not be able to do this one either in RTR

Date: 04/18/18 15:30

Nice.......

Date: 04/18/18 15:37
Re: Athearn SP '84 Olympic Fooby40

On the SP 7347, things were much different back in the 1980s when those were done... Manufacturers doing whatever schemes they wanted on whatever units they made (right or wrong... like that SD40-2 when SP never had any SD40-2 units). And yes, Athearn will not likely be able to do that '84 LA Olympic paint scheme now on the new RTR SD40s that are more accurate for the prototype. I have heard that Microscale can't do anymore of their '84 Olympic decals either.

Hey Electromac, with all the UP brass you used to have I'm surprised you didn't get the OMI UP SD70M Salt Lake Olympic pair...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/18 15:56 by CSX602.

Date: 04/18/18 18:19
Re: Athearn SP '84 Olympic Fooby40

LOL.....that one slip by..... Send me a text.......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/18 18:21 by electromac.

Date: 04/19/18 09:58
Author: navarch2

CSX602 Wrote:
> By the way, I do recall that when OMI did the Salt
> Lake Olympic SD70M pair that they were quite a bit
> more expensive than the other SD70Ms... but not
> to the really high additional amount per unit
> that the Boy Scout UP #2010 was. (That was
> another one with big licensing hurdles and costs
> for the 15 produced)
>
> As for the Salt Lake SD70Ms, at this point it
> would be more than just red tape... It would be
> getting the USOC/IOC to reverse their stance/ban
> that they have had for more than 2 decades.
>

> PS. Did anybody else see in the Rapido newsletter
> why they will not be producing the wrapped
> F40PH-2D units in the Spiderman II promo scheme?
>
> (Disney and $50,000...)

An acquaintance of mine has both of the brass Overland models, and has been offered as much as $2,500.00 each for them....and given there are no decals available for them there is not a way to get a custom painter to do a pair....unless they also make custom decals which may not be impossible to do given current technology...but it would not be cheap...

Most custom decal makers ( we use some for ship models) will insist on making sure they obtain a license for what they are creating. These folks might be worth a look....

http://www.beldecal.com/custom_decals.cfm

Bob

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0771 seconds