Home Open Account Help 307 users online

Model Railroading > How many of you have a layout made of Kato Unitrak?

Date: 04/18/18 16:29
How many of you have a layout made of Kato Unitrak?
Author: Finderskeepers

Back when my son was little, he wanted his own layout. Nothing fancy for switching purposes, but he wanted something that would run two trains at once. I wanted something trouble free, derailment free with simple wiring. The outside loop was 30", the inner loop was 28" and the
smallest radius was 24".. he loved his autoracks and container cars too much to try and go with less radius. Anyhow this is what we came up with, I think it was about 5X13' or so. Alas shortly after his mother and I divorced and I lost my 13X40 train room, and the layouts were no more. These days he is 17 and into cars and girls, but maybe someday all the unitrack will make an appearance again, if only to circle a Christmas tree.

Date: 04/18/18 16:34
Re: How many of you have a layout made of Kato Unitrak?
Author: goneon66

i have and even used "resistance soldering" on the unitrak without any problems. 29" curves on my layout.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/18 16:39 by goneon66.

Date: 04/18/18 16:37
Author: dgraves

I have unitrack but have 30" curves. Built my layout in a rental house and wanted to be able to easily move it. Bought a house 5 years ago, but never got around to laying flex track. Unitrack is not cheap, but it is nicer looking that similar products.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/19/18 04:31
Author: SPDRGWfan

I bought an oval using the 28" radius HO curves for a test track while I was living in a tiny basement apartment and had to place to run trains. It's good quality stuff but for a regular layout I used flex track and turnouts by Walthers/Shinohara and Atlas. I'm planning on using Peco on my next layout in planning stage.

Cheers, Jim

Date: 04/19/18 09:50
Author: JUTower

For a few years I had a pretty good-sized "temporary" layout (P shape benchwork, made of 2x8 "dominoes", longest side was 22' long) that was painted plywood, old HO buildings, and Kato Unitrack. I thought the stuff looked really good, it was reliable, and it lent itself to trying out various track configurations.

We actually ran 6-8 operating sessions over this railroad before it was disassembled to make way for a remodeling project and a new, permanent layout. I've given some of the Unitrack to friends who are new or returning to the hobby and don't have the means to set up something permanent.

Date: 04/20/18 06:05
Author: mcdeo

I use the curves for planning and laying out options. Plus the temp thing in the past. Good stuff.

Mike ONeill
Parker, CO

Date: 04/20/18 07:01
Author: penncentral74

I used the 33 1/4" and 35" sizes to make one of my helices.  Like the other poster said, sections put together help plan curves and alignments in other places.

Date: 04/20/18 12:34
Author: march_hare

To me, the principal value of the Kato system is in getting people into building modules. T-trak in particular seems to be a good entry point for newbies in N scale.

Date: 04/20/18 12:37
Author: goneon66

march_hare Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> To me, the principal value of the Kato system is
> in getting people into building modules. T-trak
> in particular seems to be a good entry point for
> newbies in N scale.

to me, the value has been being able to change layouts and still use the SAME track even after i have applied ballast to it AND having reliable track with very few derailments........

Date: 04/21/18 00:29
Author: Stottman

I have it on my 4 year old's Thomas / Marklin MyWorld layout.

Basically simple ovals. 22" and 20" radius.

It looks nice, trouble free.

Date: 04/23/18 10:41
Author: ddavies

Home layout is 29 TTrak modules ... none are 1 foot long. ;-)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.052 seconds