Home Open Account Help 370 users online

Model Railroading > Module Reversing Loop Wiring

Date: 05/11/18 18:01
Module Reversing Loop Wiring
Author: donstaff

In this reverse loop module, will one Digitrax AR1 or MRC AD520 auto reversing module do the trick, or would two reversing modules be required? How would it (or they) be wired?

Thanks,
Don

Don Stafford
New Oxford, PA

Date: 05/11/18 18:38
Re: Module Reversing Loop Wiring
Author: DavidP

Are you planning to connect the two tracks on your 2x2 Town module? If not, the other module isn’t a reverse loop.

Dave

Date: 05/11/18 19:41

Yes Dave. Each red line represents 2 rails. The two red lines on the far upper left town module connect to an adjacent module and connect to the 4 ft. x 4 ft. module with Kato adjustable tracks.

Don Stafford
New Oxford, PA

Date: 05/11/18 21:48
Author: nssd70m2

one question about it is how is dcc wired beyond your modules? is it a double track mainline where both tracks are in phase with each other so trains can cross over between tracks or are they isolated separately?

the best option would be to have a reversing district for each loop so two trains could meet and leave the loop with out the possible of the two trains locomotives short out if they bridge the power districts at the same time.

another question is what is the length of the trains? (what scale is this anyway? I am guessing n scale)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/18 21:48 by nssd70m2.

Date: 05/11/18 22:45
Author: Larry020

Don

The basics of reverse loops are that they must be longer than the longest train that you will ever run, and only one train in the reversing section at a time.

Adhere to the rules and you’ll never cause a short circuit and model railroading is fun, ignore the rules and model railroading isn’t fun.

ʎɹɹɐ˥

Date: 05/12/18 10:02
Author: railstiesballast

One hard-learned lesson:
Stagger the rail gaps at the ends of the reversing section, about an inch seemed to do it in HO, maybe less in N.
See the last sentence about making model railroading "not fun" for my path to knowledge on this, I was lazy and simply used the square joints for the first year of DCC operation and endured breaker trips almost every time. I did not know how smooth an Automatic Reverser could be until the joints got to where the experts said they should be.
Getting away from having to throw block toggle switches was a huge draw for changing to DCC.

Date: 05/12/18 16:41
Author: tumulus

ok - based on your last question I'd suggest you really need to show these modules in context. What you're currently showing doesn't need a reverse loop circuit. Show how the rest of the layout connects to this and you'll get a better answer.

- tum

Date: 05/13/18 19:36

Yes, it is N scale and through trains could be as many as 20 cars or more.

Don Stafford
New Oxford, PA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0496 seconds