Home Open Account Help 213 users online

Model Railroading > Boulder Creek's RollBy™ OnBoard Speedometers

Date: 05/17/18 05:24
Boulder Creek's RollBy™ OnBoard Speedometers
Author: brfriedm

I wanted to give a quick report on a cool product from Boulder Creek called the RollBy™ OnBoard Speedometer. It has been out for a couple of years but the initial release only supported Android devices and I am an Apple guy. Once he released Apple support I purchased it. Basically, it is a board you install in a car and under the board, you place a wheelset it comes with in the truck. You can not have any metal between the board or the wheelset so I took an older MDC gon and cut a portion of the weight out and installed the unit inside holding it down with poster putty. There are versions for N Scale, HO, O and large scale.

It works awesome. You download the app for your device and link it and off u go. It provides scale speeds but the main reason I bought it was for the measurement aspects of the unit. I for a long time wanted to know the main line run in feet for my layout. This unit will provide the measurement in numerous values and of course, you can measure anything you want like siding length or yard tracks. My mainline run is 879 feet.

Awesome product and works well and I intend to take it to friends layouts so they can measure their mainline also. Very reasonably priced. Thanks, Bruce

http://www.bouldercreekengineering.com/rollby.php

Date: 05/17/18 05:26
Re: Boulder Creek's RollBy™ OnBoard Speedometers

Pictures of the display on my Ipad and the car at the end of my cleaning train.

cheers Bruce

Date: 05/17/18 07:00
Author: djh4d

Hey Bruce, have you checked the measurement from the car against a known distance? I got one of those measurement cars that comes in an English 4 wheel wagon and I found that it's off by 2 inches over a meter distance. That may not sound like much, but over a 800' mainline, it adds up.

-Dave

Date: 05/17/18 14:14

djh4d Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey Bruce, have you checked the measurement from
> the car against a known distance? I got one of
> those measurement cars that comes in an English 4
> wheel wagon and I found that it's off by 2 inches
> over a meter distance. That may not sound like
> much, but over a 800' mainline, it adds up.
>
> -Dave

I have not Dave. I'm ok with some error. Just had no idea. Thanks Bruce

Date: 05/18/18 08:29
Author: santafesteve

I have one installed in a MITW box car that I will be running on our layout at open house this week end. If your in the area come by and check it out. http://www.trainweb.org/calsomrr/

See post for California Southern open house. (MITW is "maintenance in the way").

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/18 08:31 by santafesteve.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0474 seconds