Home Open Account Help 296 users online

Model Railroading > Walthers “new” Brickworks Model- any ideas??

Date: 05/29/18 15:17
Walthers “new” Brickworks Model- any ideas??
Author: mpe383

Hmmm. Is it me or does Walthers new July 2018 “Brickworks Kit” (933-4102) have an eerie resemblance to their “Northern Light & Power Kit” (933-3021)???

Maybe they will start dual purposing their other structures too? Anyone have any suggestions to help them out?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/18 15:20 by mpe383.

Date: 05/29/18 16:40
Re: Walthers “new” Brickworks Model- any ideas??
Author: HB90MACH

I can understand the re purposing to keep costs down and the over all pricing. Tooling and mold construction isnt cheap. They could create kits from components of other kits though. that they could do better.like the open air transload facility, medusa cement, and magic pan bakery. Elements from them would have made a better brick plant

The brick storage building that goes with it is a generic sheet metal warehouse that reminds me of many similar warehouses. That has a lot of potential

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/18 16:49 by HB90MACH.

Date: 05/29/18 18:30
Author: bigkidpgh

I had the same thought. I have a few reference photos of brickworks in Western Pennsylvania and none of them have such a large building as part of the complex. I do like the kilns and chimney though.

Date: 05/29/18 19:07
Author: CSX602

Nothing new about them redoing a kit under slightly different business type...
Look at "Miranda's Bananas" (933-3080) and the "Grocery Distributor" (933-3760)

Date: 05/29/18 20:01
Author: mpe383

HB90MACH Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> The brick storage building that goes with it is a
> generic sheet metal warehouse that reminds me of
> many similar warehouses. That has a lot of
> potential

Agreed!

Date: 05/30/18 05:27

HB90MACH Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The brick storage building that goes with it is a
> generic sheet metal warehouse that reminds me of
> many similar warehouses. That has a lot of
> potential

Except for slightly different color it looks a lot like the lumber warehouse in the Drumlin Forest Lumber already built structure (933-2844) they did several years ago...

I wonder what color the bricks, the brick building and the warehouse will actually be molded in... Olive green, blue, dark gray, black or tan...

Date: 05/30/18 05:46
Author: herronpeter

Some of you older modellers will remember the Iconic Revell Engine House, from the 50's. It grew into a bakery (Superior Bakery) and a newspaper (Weekly Herald). I believe they started the practice.

Peter

Date: 05/30/18 06:40
Author: CajonRat

Yeah, this isn't anything new

Date: 06/01/18 12:52
Author: nygiant

Jeff Wilson;s trackside industries series had a nice chapter on modeling brick industries.. (Its a kalmbach paperback, don't know which volume.) Also, PBS; This Old House series visited brick factory in 2017 in Rhode Island. You can find it by searching their web site.

This is a nice addition to the hobby and you could always model the kilns as abandoned.

Date: 06/01/18 21:08

Actually on the kilns it looks like the opening has been bricked over like abandoned ones...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0492 seconds