Home Open Account Help 363 users online

Model Railroading > Trailer Train Flat Car

Date: 06/16/18 13:57
Trailer Train Flat Car
Author: Jimmies

Here's my 60' Trailer Train wooden deck flat car, just finished. I got it as an undecorated kit. One big problem with it is that it is waaayyy underweight at 7/8 oz. I don't have the load installed yet (a Herpa excavator), but I don't think even that will make it heavy enough to run reliably.

I have to tell you that the true inspiration for me to try this came from a similar car that Nick over at theweatheringshop.com or tws-rustbucket.com did last year.

Jim

Date: 06/16/18 14:01
Re: Trailer Train Flat Car
Author: Woodman

I have had that problem also, so I just add a beefed up load to make the weight.

Date: 06/16/18 14:25
Author: Jimmies

I see that I posted a picture with the car de-railed at one end.

Jim

Date: 06/16/18 15:17
Author: WarrenWeiss

Beautiful work, as usual. You are quite an artist!

I presume you are aware of the availability of tungsten weights (often sold for Pinewood Derby cars) which are ideal for your application due to tungsten's extremely high density.

Warren

Date: 06/16/18 19:14
Author: MC6853

Beautiful modeling, on the car and the scenery around it!

Posted from Android

Date: 06/17/18 01:30
Author: atsf5701

Jimmies work is always fantastic. Wish he would make Youtube videos or give lessons.

Mark
Salem, Oregon

Date: 06/17/18 08:10
Author: ghemr

Very nice weathering as usual! I added weight to my car about 20 years ago and it now weighs 3.74 oz. No matter what size train, I usually run it within the rear five cars and never have issues......

Date: 06/17/18 13:44
Author: inCHI

Looks great! I did one two a few years ago. I've since added reflective tape but don't have a newer picture. It is fun getting the deck to look aged. I used oil paints for this one.

That street trackage also looks really good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/18 13:44 by inCHI.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0425 seconds