Home Open Account Help 381 users online

Model Railroading > Amtrak Talgos

Date: 10/22/02 22:05
Amtrak Talgos
Author: TMBatts

Well, the Spanish models of the Spanish Talgos are out. I received my set, plus two food service cars today.

I was told years ago that Electrotren was crap but I think that was just BS from the dealer that didn\'t want to be hassled with imports because these are fine plastic models. Price is a little high (I paid 182 for eight carriages), but understandable considering they\'re imported.

Complete with tinted glass and a few separate details, the only problem will be installing kadee couplers. I haven\'t disassembeld the cars yet but the European coupler pockets will have to be cut to permit installation of a kadee draft gear box.

Date: 10/22/02 23:01
Re: Amtrak Talgos
Author: tracktime

I saw the N and HO versions in my local shop the other night. Nice cars, excellent detail overall..

I hope that they will do the Amtrak Northwest version (with the batwing/tailfins) someday soon.

Cheers,
Harry

Date: 10/23/02 02:04
Re: Kadee NEM euro couplers?
Author: martyn-read

You can get Kadees that plug into the standard euro NEM pockets, which would presumably be easier than taking those out and fitting a new coupler box. Kadee\'s #17, #18, #19 and #20 have NEM style connectors, my guess is you would need one of the shorter ones (#17 or #18) as you will not be coupling anything with side buffers as would happen usually with european stock.

This is the #18 at walthers.
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/380-18

Hope that helps, and I agree, I\'d be tempted by a batwing version too...very cool trains! :-)

Martyn Read
Exeter UK

Date: 10/23/02 09:39
Re: Talgo (electrotren)
Author: delticfan

Electrotren models have always seemed very good models indeed. Collegues here in the UK have used their modern freight cars as useful ferry traffic. Chris d.

Date: 10/23/02 18:59
Re: Talgo (electrotren)
Author: CP9102

Nice models.
Kadee\'s NEM replacements work perfectly - you want the second to the shortest couplers, though - the shortest scrape against the end of the car.
Expect batwings in about a year.

CP9102

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0402 seconds