Home Open Account Help 348 users online

Model Railroading > EMD G22W project progress

Date: 11/11/18 12:34
EMD G22W project progress
Author: inCHI

In some previous posts I got help on how to get the mechanism together for this G22W project. Aside from some tweaks to better organize the wiring in the cramped space of this shell, the engine runs pretty well. It uses an Atlas MP15 chassis and motor, and oddly, I just found that G22's have the exact same engine as MP15's.

1. I made a few upgrades to the shell. At a local shop, Zientek's, I found detail parts to replace the grills with etched metal grills, and I cut out the original dynamic brake fan and put in a two-piece metal one.

2. I started to put the handrails on but realized it would be difficult to do some of the paint masking that I wanted, so I only did one side. Instead, with masked off red, a coat of green.

3. I airbushed on some initial grimy weathering, and then removed the mask on the red stripes. On the Iranian prototype, these strips have yellow outlines. I'm not sure how I can do that and my just skipped it. Some engines have much of the strike worn away.

Now I'll get the windows and headlights installed, add the horn, add the handrails, paint the underframe and fuel tank, and I need to order some buffers to put on the front and rear pilots.

Date: 11/11/18 15:10
Re: EMD G22W project progress
Author: CPR_4000

Looks really good with paint on it!

Date: 11/11/18 19:52
Author: Casselton

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Mark

Date: 11/11/18 20:13

Thanks. I'm finding some of this paint is peeling off as I manhandle the shell fiddling with getting the windows installed. Perhaps I needed to prep the shell first? Right now what has peeled off is in spots where I can patch it and it might be a good weathering effect. I'm probably too quick to handle it after painting it. The paint was Vallejo that I mixed. Hopefully it doesn't all fall off.

Date: 11/12/18 07:33
Author: bnsfsd70

Looking great!

- Jeff

Date: 11/12/18 12:53
Author: grahamline

Resin castings often need special prep work before applying any paint. I've used 1:3 water/Simple Green. Others recommend a product called Bleche-White which vehicle restorers use to brighten up whitewalls on tires. I haven't tried that.  The model is looking pretty good so far.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/18 12:54 by grahamline.

Date: 11/12/18 12:56

Thanks, I have Simple Green handy and will try that if this gets worse.

Date: 11/12/18 16:53
Author: PHall

inCHI Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks, I have Simple Green handy and will try
> that if this gets worse.

Sorry to say it probably will get worse. The time to strip, clean and repaint the shell is probably now.

Date: 11/14/18 14:27
Author: Notch16

Thanks for the updates. Progress steps, whether forward or backward, are always illuminating. Thanks for sharing your work on this interesting locomotive!

~ BZ

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0629 seconds