Home Open Account Help 186 users online

Model Railroading > Golden West cars after the lease expired

Date: 11/22/18 18:59
Golden West cars after the lease expired
Author: railstiesballast

I found a blog by Ryan Wilkinson under his "ShastaRails" name about Golden West Service freight cars, the blue former Southern Pacific cars once fairly common in the fleet.
He reported, if I understand correctly, that when the UP took over the SP they found that the lease terms were unfaavorable so they took the cars back and assigned their old SP numbers.
His photos showed sort of casual paint-overs of the reporting marks.
I took three Golden West HO cars, weathered them, then put patches of Tamiya masking tape, one of each of the three colors I saw on the prototype pictures: black on gray, white on blue, and white on black.
A real test of patience was to line up the numbers I cut out of decal number sets and get them to set, especially the end reporting marks.
If you see some irreguarities in the lattering here, I invite you to look at the prototype pictures.
Why tape instead of simple paint-over myself?  Because I plan to eventually back-date the layout to before 9/11/96 when the UP took over the SP.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/18 19:01 by railstiesballast.

Date: 11/23/18 13:16
Re: Golden West cars after the lease expired
Author: RyanWilkerson

Nice work railstiesballast! I’ve always like those GWS cars and they have gone through some changes over the years.
http://www.goldenwestservice.com

Posted from iPhone

Ryan Wilkerson
Fair Oaks, CA

Date: 11/23/18 17:59
Author: railstiesballast

Ryan:
Thanks for the nice comment.  I did not want to plagerize your images but if you wanted to post one or two it might make a better story.
You deserve the credit for stimulating my imagination on doing this.
Mike McGinley

Date: 11/24/18 20:01
Author: RyanWilkerson

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.051 seconds