Home Open Account Help 380 users online

Model Railroading > Airbrush purchase for painting o scale trains

Date: 12/14/18 14:05
Airbrush purchase for painting o scale trains
Author: MopacMan

My no-frills airbrush has failed me for the last time.  Any recommendatons on an airbrush brand and/or type to purchase?  What about a compressor?

Date: 12/14/18 14:28
Re: Airbrush purchase for painting o scale trains
Author: elu34ch

Search this website. This question has been bantered about frequently over the years. 

Date: 12/14/18 14:33
Author: superchief73

I know a professional brass painter that uses the Paasche Single Action with the #3 tip. I use the same and love this set. 

Javier Cervantes
Castle Rock , CO

Date: 12/14/18 15:35
Author: BNModeler

Ive been using the same Paasche VL for over 25 years.

Date: 12/15/18 01:42
Author: Lighter

Badger, Iwata and Paasche are most used by modelers.   Keep in mind that modelers are a minor part of the business for these companies.  All three are durable but have good repair services and parts availability.  Specific brands are a matter of religion for many folks which you will see in this thread.  Each of these three has a lot of different models and price points.  Because you are painting O scale your needs are different from those of us painting in HO.  A bit of time on the websites of these three will help sort out what is most useful in each line and then you can cross compare.  A solid mailorder supplier is Dixie Art and Airbrush.  Dixie also carries parts.

Compressor - that depends on so many things it's hard for me to recommend.  Mine is an elderly Craftsman cheapie tank compressor that sits under my desk in the family room.  I've carefully thread taped all connections and don't have surprise recharges if I forget to kill power.  My family has no issues with the occasional noise, but your family may differ!

Date: 12/15/18 05:45
Author: jburek

I've been using a Badger 200 model for years with very good results along with a Badger compressor.  I have heard good things about Paasche also so I don't believe you could go wrong with either model.

Date: 12/15/18 06:56
Author: binder001

First, before you get distracted by features and frills.  Look at what you are likely to paint, size, color complexity, etc.  Look at your comfort level with airbrushing.  Are you very experienced?  Do you really need all the "cool" features?  Then you can look at your budget and decide how much you are willing to pay.  Further, think about how often you will use it.  If you automatically go "top of the line" then you may end up with an airbrush that is harder to maintain and trickier to use.  Choose the tool that fits your likely projects.  Then it will be easier to start looking at the various manufacturers' offerings.  

IMHO an excellent resource is Paul Budzick's "Scale Model Workshop" on You Tube.  Paul is an excellent and highly experienced modeler and he offers several videoas about airbrushes anf miniature spray guns.  Here's a link:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9UUZIFvHRQPfDoCP-bTB7A

An airbrush is a bit like a car, a firearm, or other major purchase, you need to look for the one that fits your needs and that you are comfortable using.

Good luck,

Gary B.
Waverly, NE

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/18 06:59 by binder001.

Date: 12/15/18 12:33
Author: fbe

Quality airbrushes come with multiple tips and needles. #0 or #1 for detail and weathering up to #3 for O scales and layout rock work.

Your compressor can never be too big, I have a 25 gallon one in the garage which works just fine with a reducing valve and a long hose into the basement. Avoid the small single cylinder ones without any reservoir.

Date: 12/15/18 18:42
Author: tomstp

I have always used a Binks with an A tip.  Had it for 40 years.  Any good quality airbrush will do the job for you.

Date: 12/19/18 06:47
Author: tramfan

I have used a Binks diaphragm compressor for 40 years with my Paasche single action airbrush. I do have a drier and regulator inline to the airbrush. To get over the pulses from the compressor I have, instead of a tank, about 50 feet bundled of  1/4" vinyl control air line used in commercial buildings for pneumatic HVAC controls.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0455 seconds