Home Open Account Help 374 users online

Model Railroading > Livin' Large, in Kansas City

Date: 01/02/19 13:50
Livin' Large, in Kansas City
Author: WrongWayMurphy

A few years ago some of us Texans traveled to a really nice live steam track just south of Kansas City.
The results shown here.

1. My ten-wheeler #427 at the fruit shed
2. Approaching Kansas City's only railroad tunnel
3. Trainorders.com member TomSTP on his Hot-Rod #300

Date: 01/02/19 14:03
Re: Livin' Large, in Kansas City

4. TomSTP meets a fellow Texan, one that flies planes for a living, and LUV's his job and his steamer.
5. Double heading Nickel Plate Berks with a very long train on this day.
6. Not sure what this engine was, but it was operating under steam.

Date: 01/02/19 14:08

7. Of course there are always the obligitory diesels.  While at one time I shunned them, I now own three!
8'  Track owner's stunningly cool motorcar/trailer set.
9. Tex-Mex geeps had a complete Tex-Mex passenger train behind.

There were a lot of others trains there that weekend in Sept 2012 but I did not have much time to shoot them all,
as my #427 was fighting me all weekend.

Date: 01/02/19 17:03
Author: livesteamer

For the record, the Kansas City area has/had a real railroad tunnel near Raytown on what is now part of the Rock Island trail...the Vale Tunnel was built by Rock Island Railroad in 1903-1904

Posted from Android

Marty Harrison
Knob Noster, MO

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/19 17:05 by livesteamer.

Date: 01/02/19 17:49
Author: DKay

Looks like a nice operation.I was wandering around Youtube a few hours ago ,and stumbled on a vid of the ex Tom Miller UP4005 working in New Zealand at this place....http://www.tmmec.org.nz/?Home
Regards,DK

Date: 01/03/19 08:18
Author: tomstp

Shane, picture 6 of unknow engine.  That is the beginning of a very nice Frisco 4100 series heavy 2-8-2 which is just about 100% done now.  It is from St Louis and that is Bill Webber in the riding car and I can't remember the engine's owners name.  Bill is an excellent machinist and is doing most of the machine work on the engine.

Incidentally, my 300 broke a rod one day at this track (a hell of  a long way from home) and Bill Webber machined a new one in about 45 minutes from plate aluminum.   And, you can bet  I buy his supper anytime I am around him.

Date: 01/03/19 14:27
Author: SPDRGWfan

That looks like more fun than more fun!

Cheers, Jim

Date: 01/05/19 09:06
Re: Living' Large, in Kansas City
Author: snoopy51

WWWOOOWWW
Party on guys what a turn out

Date: 01/05/19 09:53
Re: Living' Large, in Kansas City
Author: tomstp

The owner of the track, Pat McCarthy, had what is called the "long train meet" one year.  Every train has to be longer than the passing tracks so that meets between trains turn into "sawbys".  You wouldn't believe  the----------------- confusion, consternation, etc. Somehow all survived without being shot.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0444 seconds