Home Open Account Help 305 users online

Model Railroading > High Tension Wires

Date: 02/13/19 06:02
High Tension Wires
Author: SD608708

What is the best product to model High Tension electrical wires. I heard of EZ line, but I thought I saw a different brand in a model railroad magazine.

TIA

Paul B
Canton, GA

Date: 02/13/19 07:45
Re: High Tension Wires
Author: SP4360

I haven't seen anything other than EZ Line. I purchased some a while back to do signal pole lines on my layout that will be partly on a hinged bridge section. Should be interesting to watch how this stuff works.

Date: 02/13/19 08:54
Author: PHall

I don't know if something like EZ Line would be the right thing to use.
High tension electrical lines are heavy and have a noticable sag between poles/towers.
Maybe thread stiffened with white glue to get the sag and still be stiff enough to survive?

Date: 02/13/19 09:38
Author: binder001

I agree with PHall, EZ line is wonderful for fencing, signal lines, ship rigging, etc.  The major electrical lines have a deep sag to them.  You choices would be: use EZ line because the lines will be survivable, or use something else that will recreate the sag but might be vulnerable to getting caught on fingers, etc around the layout.  If the lines are not where they might get caught during train operations or layout maintenance, then you can go for the sag.  I can appreciate the need - I have a place that would look good with a high tension line across it BUT it's right over a switch area.  Part of me says the addition of the power line might be asking for trouble.

Gary B.
Waverly, NE

Date: 02/13/19 10:17
Author: SD608708

EZ Line says to use the HD line for HT lines. Mine are going up a mountain and will not interfere with the railroad.

Paul B
Canton, GA

Date: 02/14/19 11:11
Author: funnelfan

Personally I would just buy some .020" piano wire and bend the sags by hand and then use pliers to put in a kink where it would attach to the insulators.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0275 seconds