Home Open Account Help 352 users online

Model Railroading > Trading Spaces

Date: 03/30/03 20:21
Trading Spaces
Author: stivmac

Just watched the Sunday night episode of this show. If you\'re not familiar with it, its a "reality\' show where couples redecorate each other\'s rooms with the help of professional designers. Anywho, This on features a really cool kid\'s room with the Trains Planes and Automobiles theme. Yep, therre was a suspended loop of track with some kind of train set train going round and round. The kid whose room it will be is only 15 moths old, so at least he\'s getting a proper start in life! And yeah, they were Warbonnet Santa Fe GP9\'s and they had them facing the wrong way, but hey, its the thought that counts!

Date: 03/31/03 03:04
Re: Trading Spaces
Author: piedmontsouthern

That was a repeat episode. There is another episode where the home owner was a railfan. They made their bedroom loosely resemble the interior of a Pullman passenger car.

Dale Latham

Date: 03/31/03 05:10
Author: dickpalmer

Funny you mentioned this show. I have long thought that it\'d be cool to see a model railroad episode of this show. . . maybe Allen Keller could produce it.

just imagine: Bill Darnaby and Gil Freytag exchange homes and layouts. . . we\'ll have to do it for more than 48 hours, though--let\'s say six months.

When we\'re done. Bill\'s linear Maumee Route has been removed and replaced by a convoluted Mountains-to-the-Ceiling layout featuring a spaghetti bowl of trackage, narrow gauge and most of the popular "must haves" of the past couple of decades in model railroads . . meanwhile, Bill has gutted Gil\'s railroad and replaced it with a linear, narrow-shelved, single track train order/timetable operated railroad with extremely tight aisleways. . . .

the best part of "Trading Spaces" is the segment called "The Reveal", when the neighbors get to uncover their eyes and see what their friends had wrought. . . this would be quite revealing to see what the reaction on their faces would be when presented their new model railroads!

Date: 03/31/03 06:04
Author: WrongWayMurphy

What if Mr. Palmer traded his model RR
for that of Blair Kooistra, and vise versa?
Not sure who would get the better of that
deal...

Date: 03/31/03 07:45

How about Tony Koester Trading Layout Spaces with a Tin Plate fanatic?

Date: 03/31/03 10:57
Author: kenw

I think you might have more luck swapping model railroaders\' wives than layouts.

It would be less personal and a lot less traumatic....

Date: 03/31/03 12:22
Author: blair.kooistra

dickpalmer is a hard-core American Flyer fan, and personally, while the old tinplate stuff is neat, I don\'t know if I could ever get used to the third-rail! I\'ll keep my bedroom-sized switching railroad (til another baby comes along. . . )

He DOES have plenty of cool Katy equipment, Shane, and some of it\'d look pretty nice stretching its legs in that large T&P section house of yours. . . how bout it? Half the building tinplate, half a nice T&P/MKT layout?

Date: 03/31/03 17:06
Author: narrowgauge

Those TS people are a little over the top. I\'m surprised they didn\'t paint the Geeps purple or chartreuse.
Narrowgauge

Date: 03/31/03 20:55
Author: P

narrowgauge wrote:

> Those TS people are a little over the top. I\'m surprised they
> didn\'t paint the Geeps purple or chartreuse.
> Narrowgauge
>
> [%sig%]

That\'s pretty funny.
That episode was one of the things that inspired me to do a model railroad for the first time since I was 15. I chose an around the wall loop in my office that is about 1\' below the ceiling level. I also did it in O gauge. It gave me something to do this winter.

Date: 04/01/03 04:56
Author: BentnoseWillie

narrowgauge wrote:

> Those TS people are a little over the top.

Just don\'t let Hildy do the weathering! Ye gods and little fishes.

Bedevilled with nightmares of faux-marble boxcars, I remain:
B-Dubya

Date: 04/01/03 05:33
Author: blair.kooistra

I vividly recall the (same sex) couple in san francisco who had a couple of children, 4-7 years old. What did Hildy do? She covered the walls of the living room with HAY! One of the women was pretty pissed off about it, and said she\'d be cleaning up pieces of straw the kids will be pulling off the wall for the rest of her life.

The designers on the show can pretty much do whatever they want and walk away, leaving the (sometimes) unfortunate victims to deal with sometimes shoddy or temporary construction techniques. . .

hmm. . . sounds like my layout a bit!

Date: 04/01/03 05:45
Author: Vunderbob

BentnoseWillie wrote:

>> Just don\'t let Hildy do the weathering! Ye gods and little
> fishes.

Hildy, what a babe! Too bad she\'s as dumb as a bag of hammers...

OTOH, Amy Wynn Pastor can come build my benchwork any time!

VunderBob

Date: 04/01/03 17:37
STOP THE INSANITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Author: billywa

If I want to talk about Trading Spaces, I\'ll talk to my wife!!!!~) Avoiding talking to my wife is why I come to Trainorders!~)

We\'re all men here (female modelers, please forgive the generalization) and we\'re talking about that show????????? And, we\'re men here, and none of you have mentioned Genevieve???????????? My goodness, she\'s the only reason I even pay attention to that show when the wife has it on (outside of spending quality time *with* the wife of course).

OK end of rant. Back to trains!

billywa

Date: 04/01/03 19:09
Re: STOP THE INSANITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, you never know where you\'ll find a good tip for the layout! Heck, just last week I was watching Hildy put moss on the walls! Looked more like good old lichen! Then there\'s tips on how to color co-ordinate drapes to hang below the benchwork. Why, heck Billywa! I\'m gonna do you a favor and sign you up for the show! I can just see Doug (aka He-Who-Is-Proud-Of-His-Faux-Finishes) laying into your layout, painting over all those dirty nasty box cars and grimey brick buildings with a LOVELY celedon (to us REAL men its snot green) wash followed by a layer of mauve. Man HIGH CLASS all the way! Gosh, I;ll bet your wife will even want to spend MORE QUALITY TiME with you in the layout room, color co-ordinating your entire fleet of rolling stock and designing paint schemes to rival the late lamented Barf Bonnet of Mrs. BNSF!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1073 seconds