Home Open Account Help 319 users online

Model Railroading > S. SOHO & CO.

Date: 04/09/19 20:37
S. SOHO & CO.
Author: wattslocal

For almost 50 years now, the Soho & Co cars have been very popula, and even today, not being state of the art anymore they are still highly sought after -- jush check Ebay today. My question is does any list exist of the product numbers? Who built them in Japan, and how did Soho become a really large player in brass passenger cars? This must have been a huge financial  outlay for him.

Originally the address was a PO box in Los Angeles and later Tucson Arizona,

I met Dr, Stanley Soho several times at model meets and he was affiable and very "interesting" to talk with. Any idea of what happened to the business and also Dr. Soho? He certainly has left a lasting legacy for the brass passenger car fans.

Watts local
aka Ray Ballash

Date: 04/10/19 09:26
Re: S. SOHO & CO.
Author: SPDRGWfan

Where does the name SOHO come from?  When I google it I saw a reference to SOuth of HOuston streen in NYC, and also Small Office, Home Office.

Date: 04/10/19 11:11
Author: PHall

SPDRGWfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Where does the name SOHO come from?  When I
> google it I saw a reference to SOuth of HOuston
> streen in NYC, and also Small Office, Home Office.

Did you read the post above yours?    Dr Stanley Soho.....

Date: 04/10/19 15:06
Author: SPDRGWfan

PHall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> SPDRGWfan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Where does the name SOHO come from?  When I
> > google it I saw a reference to SOuth of HOuston
> > streen in NYC, and also Small Office, Home
> Office.
>
> Did you read the post above yours?    Dr Stanley
> Soho.....

I did, but it didn't register. I've seen Soho labeled passenger cars in the past and never realize the name came from a Dr soho.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/10/19 15:56
Author: WAF

Been around since about 1977. When Coach Yard made a impact, Soho disappeared

Date: 04/10/19 17:09
Author: tramfan

He published a catalog of the traction equipment that was imported.

Date: 04/11/19 17:47
Author: BN7023

Next is the description from the dictionary I'm writing.

S. Soho & Company was a brass importer that existed from 1969 to 1978. Headquartered in Tucson, Arizona, the company imported HO-scale passenger cars, street cars, interurban cars, steamers and diesels from Kumata, Japan.

There is a photo collection book called "The Art of Brass in model railroading, vol.1" that covers all Kumata products until 1982, and the Kumata code numbers are listed here. See my introductory article about this book. And look at the catalog collection of HOseeker.net. Do you need more information?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/19 18:03 by BN7023.

Date: 04/11/19 19:40
Author: Streamliner

As someone who was a hobby retailer and stocked the good Dr. Soho’s Models, I can vividly recall when Dr. Stan pulled the plug on his business and DUMPED his remaining, substantial inventory at blow out prices, which was tantamount to raising his middle finger to all the dealers who stocked his models and supported him.  He sold models, that I had on my shelves, to any Tom, Dick or Harry for LESS than I had paid wholesale.  There was a reasonable way to liquidate his inventory and he could have done it, THROUGH his dealers, but he didn’t bother.  Soho models were So-So.  The man was a jerk.

Hope you are all well,

Allen Drucker

Date: 04/12/19 00:31
Author: BN7023

According to previous my comment, I wrote the company's existence was 1969-1978, but after reviewing the MR magazine, I found a product introduction in page 16 of the Oct. 1968 issue, and an advertisement in 105 page of the November 1981 issue. I apologize and correct. It is interesting that they commercialized LARY's models in HO and HOn3 scale.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0408 seconds