Home Open Account Help 358 users online

Model Railroading > ABBA set

Date: 04/18/19 19:29
ABBA set
Author: Santafes95

It has been a little while since I ran my GP60 m's all together. It is still one of the great consists of all time and right in line with Santa Fe style. These are Athearns and they run fairly well. I would like to buy some Fox Valley GP 60's but I am having trouble justifying the switch.  I think the silver could be a little lighter on the Athearns and they could run a bit smoother but they are not bad. Any thoughts out there? Any one running their Athearns?

Date: 04/18/19 19:44
Re: ABBA set
Author: ghemr

They look sharp----you should be proud to own them!

Date: 04/19/19 04:12
Author: acltrainman

I have both the Athearn and Fox Valley GP60'2. My Athearn run good. Of course tyey needed to be brokrn in to run better for what they are they are just fine. Fox Valley's have sound and Athearn are decoder no sound.

Stanley Jackowski
Valrico, FL

Date: 04/19/19 10:31
Author: cabman

Back in January, 2003 I had no idea that Santa Fe modelers would be treated to these fine models from Athearn and Fox Valley.  Railpower Products (Dana Stark) had just gone out of business, and unbeknownst to me, sold out to Athearn.  In desperation to own a GP60M and B, I ordered surplus shells and underframes from Diesel Services in Salt Lake City and grabbed a couple Athearn GP50's for their power.  Everything went together as planned and a few extra details were added.  As usual, just as I completed the locomotives,  Athearn came out with the same thing except for ditch lights and cleaner printing of the large red  "Santa Fe" on the side.  As for the Fox Valley version, I think it's a little nicer looking and runs about the same.  We Santa Fe modelers are so fortunate to have so many companies catering to us!  Oh yes, in case you wondered, the Ready to Roll model from Athearn was $22 cheaper that my "do-it-myself" effort.  We sometimes have to learn patience!

Date: 04/19/19 13:10
Author: globalethanol

beautiful! just wondering who makes the bridge supports?

tom

Date: 04/19/19 13:51
Author: Santafes95

Great comments. I think I will keep the Athearns a while and enjoy. I made the bridge supports using parts from Central Valley.

Date: 04/19/19 21:46
Author: atsf121

That is a fine looking set you have there. I have a GP60M I kibashed from a blue box GP60. It was my first attempt at kitbashing and turned out pretty good. But I would like to add the BBA portion using Athearn and Fox Valley at some point in the future.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/21/19 05:31
Author: santafedan

Micro-engineering?
globalethanol Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> beautiful! just wondering who makes the bridge
> supports?
>
> tom

Date: 04/28/19 16:49
Author: jridge

SantaFes95-
From what I've seen in this post and your Mi-Jack post, I'd like more info on your layout-
Can you provide further info and more photos?

Jeff

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0404 seconds