Home Open Account Help 360 users online

Model Railroading > Vandals Trash a British model railway exhibition

Date: 05/19/19 10:35
Vandals Trash a British model railway exhibition
Author: mundo

Date: 05/19/19 11:05
Re: Vandals Trash a British model railway exhibition
Author: WrongWayMurphy

British friend I sent that to yesterday commented that even if caught, perps will
just get a slap on the bum.

Date: 05/19/19 11:08
Author: cvrrr

I have no words for this. It is just horrific.
cvrrr

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/19 11:08 by cvrrr.

Date: 05/19/19 14:32
Author: PE-717

Every pike, or collection is unique to the individual model railroader. It is not only money, but the time to create and enjoy what you have created and collected. I see this as a very personal attack, not just some stupid kids breaking into a building and breaking a few windows, rather, they have hurt people deeply in a profound way. I hope the punishment fits what not only has been done financially but emotionaly for this club. It is heartwarming to see so many people donating and I hope they can weather this attack. Ray

Date: 05/19/19 15:40
Author: CSX602

Does Britain still allow corporal punishment - such as public hanging?

Actually a better punishment might be community service - specifically spent rebuilding and restoring all that they damaged (and half way through having somebody vandalize the first part they've completed)...

Date: 05/19/19 18:22
Author: SPDRGWfan

I'm married to a Brit and from what I hear and read in the BBC, most criminals get the soft pillow treatment. Britain tends to be very soft on criminals as a rule. It's terrible and sends the wrong message to bad guys, ie your punishment will be light. England is a great place to live if you are a bad guy. SMH.

Posted from Android

Date: 05/20/19 06:43
Author: WrongWayMurphy

In 3000 donations, more than GBP 50000 has been donated, from as far as WA in USA and Australia. Some of the donations have been channeled to St. Neot’s club, who had already set up their layout for the exhibition, too. As is standard practice the four morons have been released on bail pending further investigations. I suspect that there are personal motives involved here.

Date: 05/20/19 07:28
Author: BAB

Not much diffrent than today in the US, caught with guns and being a felon they are back out on the street before the officers are off shift sometimes. Over there problems with street gangs that target inocent people are quite common. Over the last few years there have been people from other countries killed or badly injured by them. Look at socker matches some just meet and fight in fields dont even go to games.  We in the US are just as soft on criminals as they are so dont put it all on them our laws need to be tightned up not loosend.

Date: 05/20/19 08:00
Author: Ray_Murphy

The British used to put these types on a one-way trip to Australia ("Transported for Life").

Ray

Date: 05/20/19 10:34
Author: exhaustED

BAB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not much diffrent than today in the US, caught
> with guns and being a felon they are back out on
> the street before the officers are off shift
> sometimes. Over there problems with street gangs
> that target inocent people are quite common. Over
> the last few years there have been people from
> other countries killed or badly injured by them.
> Look at socker matches some just meet and fight in
> fields dont even go to games.  We in the US are
> just as soft on criminals as they are so dont put
> it all on them our laws need to be tightned up not
> loosend.

Err, soccer? Er, street gangs 'quite common'. Do you want to back that up with some statistics... what does 'common' mean. I've lived in the UK for 48 years and i've never seen a 'street gang'! If there's a place where they're more prevalent it's in big cities, but that's the case all over the world. 
I agree with you on the 'too soft' comments though...

Date: 05/20/19 11:07
Author: grahamline

You're thinking capital punishment, as far as hanging.
Corporal punishment starts with a swat on the bum and escalates.
Decades ago, I was running a rural news desk when a correspondent filed a story in which a school district board spent part of its evening discussing capital punishment for high school offenses.  Had to check that one. "Yep," said my correspondent. "That's the word they were using. Board chairman allowed as they were a bit embarrassed to be caught out."  But no one on the board or in the audience caught the error  during the meeting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/19 11:08 by grahamline.

Date: 05/20/19 11:49

exhaustED Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've lived in the UK for 48 years and i've never seen a
> 'street gang'! If there's a place where they're more prevalent it's
> in big cities, but that's the case all over the world. 
> I agree with you on the 'too soft' comments
> though...

How about South Shields up in the northeast of England?  My wife is was born and raised in that area not far from Newcastle for the first 41 years of hear life.  Think Billy Elliott movie in the northeast with the coal miner strikes in the 80's and outdoor toilets.  Since the mines and shipbuilding closed down there has been lots of poverty, and the vagaries that follow it.  One of the more common phrases uttered on the street is "Ho!  what are ye lookin at!"

When I met my wife, she was living there and I in the northeast US.  She told me it was best for her to move to the US vs. me moving to South Shields as there was no work and it was a very rough area.  We both flew over there in 2014 to visit and to take her son down to London to the US embassy to process him for immigration.  While in Southshields/Newcastle area, all the metro stations had public awareness posters in the stations that showed a picture of a womans face - in one half the picture it was all bruised and beaten.  The "take-away" was that domestic violence was the norm there.  It's a symptom of the poverty and social ills in that part of England, and I'm sure part of the US.  In places like that, there are young people who get killed by a peer in stabbings - not unusual.  My wife knows a woman who's son tried to intervene in a dispute and got stabbed and killed when he was 17 - he was doing well in school and had a relatively bright future ahead of him, cut short but senseless violence.  The boys mother never recovered and has suffered depression ever since.  Very sad.

Anyway, I don't know about street gangs, but I wouldn't be surprised if South Shields and Newcastle area have them.  Heck, after football games, gangs of unhappy fans can turn violent and best stay out of there way!  Wife and I went to visit a model Railroader in Sunderland in 2014, a guy who used to display lots of nice layout scenes in the MR forums.  We took the metro home and had to steer clear of football fans on our way home to avoid trouble.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/19 15:59 by SPDRGWfan.

Date: 05/20/19 12:05

As i said, if you go to the wrong part of big conurbations what do you expect?! Anyway, Billy Elliot was set 35 years ago for Pete's sake, and it was painting a morbid scene for the purposes of being a movie. Outdoor toilets...come on!
There's lots of employment up there, a huge Nissan plant, a Hitachi train building plant, new tech., universities, it's time you stepped out of the mid-20th century!

Date: 05/20/19 14:20
Author: dwb909

Just saw where Rod Stewart just donated 10000 pounds to the club. Thats 12728 US dollars. 

Date: 05/20/19 17:23

The Billy Elliot reference was mainly for those unfamiliar with northern England, especially those not from England.

My wife immigrated here in 2011 and has been back twice, the last time together with me in 2014. Not exactly mid-30th century. What I saw didn't look like a vision of prosparity.

People still kill themselves due to poverty. The Nissan plant added jobs, but not enough. My wife is reading stuff to me right now about the crime rates in South Shields and South Tyneside vs the rest if England. She tells me nothing has changed since she was a child, nothing.

Sounds like you don't know the area like she dies. The stuff she is reading to me now is not 30 years ago, it's the present. South Shields is a small town, in a small county, not the inner city. Do you realize how many unemployed in South Shields? People from the south probably throw out the examples you did and think all is well now. How wrong they would be. Sadly the false perception of what things are really like there remains and is probably a major reason why things haven't really changed. Cheers.

Here is a little flavor link

https://www.ilivehere.co.uk/south-shields-2.html

Posted from Android

Date: 05/20/19 19:28

You really think that link is a legitimate news-piece? :-) Have you read it?

Date: 05/22/19 20:32
Author: needles_sub

What types of security do the clubs that get broken in to have?
I would think security would be the first thing thst would be done. An alarm, even just a loud bell would deter people, as well as strong locks and doors with bars on windows.

The only difference between a criminal and an honest man is oppertunity.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2763 seconds