Home Open Account Help 355 users online

Model Railroading > My Small Contribution to the 150th (it's in N)

Date: 05/19/19 17:01
My Small Contribution to the 150th (it's in N)
Author: BoilingMan

I've posted a couple of reports on this project as it's come along-  now it's all but finished.  I build this diorama for the museum in Dutch Flat, CA- arguably the birthplace of the Transcontinental Railroad.  Judah & Strong signed an agreement in Strong's Drug Store that formally kicked off the project.  Strong's Store, no longer standing, was across the street from our little museum.
The diorama illustrates the burying of the Secret Town Trestle- an attempt to explain the famous photo of the Chinese workers doing exactly that in the 1870's (it's too often mis-identified as a construction photo).  The trestle was about 5 or 6mi west of Dutch Flat.
The diorama is supposed to go on display when the museum opens for the Summer season on Memorial Day weekend, but the County seems to be running late on their construction of the case that will display it- but they might make it!

I've divided the scene in 3 sections:  As built, being buried, and as it now appears- although I've backdated it somewhat so I could use SP Tunnel Motors and Amtrak's Phase III colors.  (The way The Hill looked when I hired out with Amtrak in 1984)
SR

A tip of the hat to Ryan Wilkerson for the scenic work here- trees, etc. 

Date: 05/19/19 17:03
Re: My Small Contribution to the 150th (it's in N)

Date: 05/19/19 17:12
Author: atsf121

Wow, that turned out great!

Date: 05/19/19 18:25
Author: SPDRGWfan

What is that smoked plexiglass for between the sections?

Posted from Android

Date: 05/19/19 18:31

As I said: the diorama is divided into 3 sections (1860’s/1870’s/Contemporary), hence: dividers.
SR

Date: 05/20/19 05:06
Author: hogheaded

It's great to see that you did so well in carrying concept to reality. Nice work, SR!

Hopefully you're planning to add a few Chinese laborers to give them their due?

EO

Date: 05/20/19 06:35
Author: Frank30

This looks super. I noticed that the contemporary section became double-tracked. I assume that follows
double tracking of the prototype.  So was the single track trestle burried to facilitate double tracking
the line?  Seems to be the least disruptive method of accomplishing that goal.
Frank30

Date: 05/20/19 07:08

When the CP (and the UP, also) were racing to complete the Transcontinental Railroad it was quicker to cross gaps like Secret Town with a trestle that a fill. Later, after the line was up and running (May 10, 1869), they could go back and make improvements. Several trestles we filled in, as I’m showing in my diorama.
Double tracking Donner came much later, completed in the mid 1920’s.
I’ve shown the alinement of the #1 Track as continuous, with the #2 added on the side, but I did this for simplicity in telling the story. I suspect they actually added fill on both side equally and the moved the #1 over.
SR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/19 07:10 by BoilingMan.

Date: 05/20/19 07:23

hogheaded Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's great to see that you did so well in carrying
> concept to reality. Nice work, SR!
>
> Hopefully you're planning to add a few Chinese
> laborers to give them their due?
>
> EO
>  

Thanks! Yes, I plan to add the Chinese, but I have to scratch build the carts they used.
We are adding a separate display to the museum to better explain the Chinese contribution also. (We also have an altar in the museum, saved from Dutch Flat’s Chinatown- it’s been on display for years)
SR

Also- I wired the track so I can go back and light the locomotive headlights and Amtrak markers with LEDs.

Date: 05/24/19 13:10
Author: Gonut1

Nice work Boilng Man!
Go

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0594 seconds