Home Open Account Help 248 users online

Model Railroading > Older Lionel

Date: 06/09/19 13:36
Older Lionel
Author: CPRR

I have some 1950's 027 Lionel equipment. A switcher, the cattle car and pen, the oil derrick, freight cars, and a passenger set. If I planned a layout, would they look aright with the modern three rail track? Or should it be classic 027 track? 

Date: 06/09/19 13:56
Re: Older Lionel
Author: wag216

Your railroad! Do what you want too. If I had lots of money, I would use Gargrave track. I am still using my 0-31 from 1940 and others. Let us hear from you? wag216

Date: 06/09/19 14:05
Author: wjpyper

I have a mixture of old Lionel and newer Atlas track and a mixture of old Lionel, K-line, Williams, MTH, Weaver and scratchbuilt locomotives and rolling stock on my Mendacity Canyon Railroad. I think it looks fine, but I am only trying to please myself. I don't have any MMR certificates and never will. BTW, it is all for sale. If you are interested, send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will send you a list with pictures.
Bill Pyper
Salem, Oregon

Date: 06/10/19 11:57
Author: dbrcnw

If your question relates to the most operable track, I would think it should all be pretty much alike. If you are worried about what others want to see on your layout, invite them to buy same and you'll put it there.

In short, please yourself.

DaleR

Date: 06/10/19 19:00
Author: Streamliner

Ah, I’m an old traditionalist and I say stick with the original, but I would pop up to “O” gauge track, perhaps with some old 0-72 curves in there as well.  Lots of bargains on eBay, if you shop around a bit.  Best of luck to you.

Allen Drucker

Date: 06/12/19 22:16
Author: plowboy

After using tubular track on two previous layouts, on advice from friends I went with Gargraves track and Ross switches on my current layout.  Best decision I ever made.  Easy to work with and operating trouble free. 

RLR

Date: 06/12/19 22:21
Author: plowboy

Also, I run post war and more modern equipment by Lionel, K-line and MTH. All operate great. One thing is that if you have crossing flashers and block signals, the old Lionel  connectors will not work, but they really don't work very well anyway.  You will need to use insulated track and relays but that really isn't a big deal.  

RLR

Date: 06/15/19 10:37
Author: dbrcnw

Let me revise my first answer to say I agree with later responses. I stand by using what pleases you as opposed to satisfying others but the advice given by the other folks was intended to give better operation, not esthetics. Thus take their thoughts into mind as they're sharing their success, not pushing their point of view.

My Lionel varies from rolling stock dating to the 1950's up to just a few years ago. Unfortunately it all currently resides on shelves in the basement and is likely to remain that way.

DaleR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.036 seconds