Home Open Account Help 384 users online

Model Railroading > Southern Pacific S8 1125 a 7 month journey

Date: 06/13/19 08:45
Southern Pacific S8 1125 a 7 month journey
Author: superchief73

I mustered up enough courage to actually make a hobby workshop in my journey to become a Steam Brass tinkerer. That was 5 years ago and since then i have spent time and money buying and collecting. Last year i came to the realization that i lost my path of using what i purchase.  Collecting for some unrealistic idea that i would someday have a rendering of Southern Pacific Operations in  the Los Angeles area. SP1125 is a tiny 0-6-0 S8 that was based in the Wilmigton area in the early 1930's-1950's. My idea is now to have a frelanced layout based on prototype equipment with scenes of my favorite railroads ATSF and SP. 
SP 1125 is a early Sunset model that will be equipped with Tsunami 2, NANO LED's and a Iphone Speaker i removed off of a old phone. The forward and aft Lights were drilled and modified to accept magnet wire through the mounting holes. I used a smaller NWSL motor and N scale Fly Wheel. Decals are from San Juan  and Thin Film. I plan on sealing the Scalecoat paint using Deft Lacquer Satin for two reasons; it will accept artist oils and washes and also creates a better barrier for handling and running. Id like to hear feedback on your experience and approach with weathering steam. Between business travel and raising kids i do not have much time for the hobby bench these days. In fact, i need to finish a couple of engines for a local friend MCDEO.. 

Javier Cervantes
Castle Rock , CO

Edited 10 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/19 07:34 by superchief73.

Date: 06/13/19 19:38
Re: Southern Pacific S8 1125 a 7 month journey
Author: atsf121

I haven't done any steam weathering, but your model is outstanding Javier!  Based on your modeling and painting work, I think you'll do just fine with weathering.

Nathan

Date: 06/13/19 19:58
Author: MojaveBill

Beautiful!!

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 06/14/19 11:12
Author: wingomann

It's interesting that you are using Deft for the seal coat.  This is the first time I have ever hear someone doing that.  How much do your thin it before use?  Are you using laquer tihinner?  Any other tricks to use it?
​I happen to have cans of it in my garage for working on furnature.

Date: 06/16/19 15:04
Author: superchief73

wingomann Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's interesting that you are using Deft for the
> seal coat.  This is the first time I have ever
> hear someone doing that.  How much do your thin
> it before use?  Are you using laquer tihinner? 
> Any other tricks to use it?
> ​I happen to have cans of it in my garage for
> working on furnature.
Yes Deft Clear as a satin cote over testors glossafter decaling. Use Deft Lacquer with laquer thinner. I do 60% Deft 40% laquer thinner. test on scrap material first. Then i bake 180 for 1 hour. (Brass Models) 

Javier Cervantes
Castle Rock , CO

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.043 seconds