Home Open Account Help 364 users online

Model Railroading > Canadian NAR SD38-2 corner steps

Date: 06/17/19 10:52
Canadian NAR SD38-2 corner steps
Author: fbe

I have been looking for vertical corner steps for a Kato kitbash of a couple NAR 400 units. Checking photos I find these units had 3 steps between the bottom platform and the top deck. The platform seems lower compared to the front journal bearing thus closer to the ground.

I cannot find photos of any other GMD units with 3 steps. All are 2 steps on CP, CN, BCR, AC, QNSL.

What do NAR modelers do for corner steps? Is it just use the elusive Miniatures by Eric brass steps and say close enough or is there a kitbash solution?

Good news for Canadian modelers is the Bowser GMD SD40 and SD40-2 models all have the correct vertical corner steps. None ore 3 steppers but the Bowser-trains website has a great selection of photos and drawings.

Date: 06/17/19 12:01
Re: Canadian NAR SD38-2 corner steps
Author: PHall

Rail Flyer had some some good step kits if you can find them.

Date: 06/17/19 12:40
Author: andrewcastle

Custom Finishing 267 is probably your best bet. They have the proper number of steps and are available through several sources. One piece castings. Not cheap but they work.

Andrew C

Date: 06/17/19 13:01

Andrew,

The Custom Finishing steps are correct for the vertical steps ATSF had on some of their SD45-2 units. Canadians I talked to said they were wrong for GMD units. Perhaps if those are 3 steppers they are wrong for wrong for nearly all GMD units but correct for NAR.

alan

Date: 06/17/19 15:24
Author: tsokolan

The steps off an Athearn Genesis GP40-2W should work on the NAR SD38-2 (thanks to arwye for the idea) but you will have to find a complete model to hack up since the deck is not available from Athearn as a seperate piece. At one time Railflyer made the correct steps, IIRC, he's now redesigned the steps as a 1 piece 3 D printed item available on Shapeways, under the Rebel Locomotive seller name. 

-Trevor

Date: 06/17/19 16:18

Bowser is coming out with GMD SD40-2 diesels with 2 step vertical step in their walkway end plate casting. Those will be available separately. It is obvious Lee English who runs Bowser IS an active modeler who understands how modelers work and how they can use the parts Bowser produces. Athearn lost that a long time ago.

The Bowser steps seem to be 2 steps high not the 3 step height featured on NAR SD38-2 I want to model.

Date: 06/17/19 16:28
Author: MrMRL

https://www.shapeways.com/product/VDM6REBEA/cn-nar-sd38-2-as-built-cab-1-87-1

Appears to be a number of 3D printed options for these vertical steps if you scroll down on the link above. Not sure if one is more correct than the other, but they’re there.

Mr. MRL

Date: 06/17/19 18:04

Thanks, Rob.

Date: 06/17/19 22:39

These are the Shapeway steps which have been recommended to me. It looks like tye Rebel does good layout.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/UMT5ZLASN/st0002-cn-3-well-steps-angled-corner-1-87-1?optionId=58310615

They look to be taller than his 2 step versions.

Date: 06/18/19 05:24
Author: tsokolan

Yup, the steps in the linksa re from Rebel aka Railflyer, but it looks like they've been redesigned to work with an aftermarket deck and frame. I look forwardto seeing the results of your kitbash Al!
-Trevor

Date: 06/18/19 07:52
Author: CPR_4000

I was blown away by all the variations on a similar theme on that Shapeways page. Musta been 10 versions of the CP SD40-2 cab and nose alone, plus all the specific GP40-2 long hoods ... really, how much difference can there be between B&O/C&O/WM GP40-2's from the same or consecutive orders???

Date: 06/18/19 15:12

I have ordered the 3 step sets from Rebel Locomotive via Shapeways. Expected delivery is 07/09 but I will likely be on the way to Wyoming by then.

I hear Tamiya has a special primer paint formulated especially for 3D printed parts. It is made to flow off the high spots and settle into the low spots. Military modelers are supposed to be the main users. If applied properly it will not fill fine surface lines. Has anyone heard about this?

Date: 06/18/19 17:48
Author: PHall

fbe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have ordered the 3 step sets from Rebel
> Locomotive via Shapeways. Expected delivery is
> 07/09 but I will likely be on the way to Wyoming
> by then.
>
> I hear Tamiya has a special primer paint
> formulated especially for 3D printed parts. It is
> made to flow off the high spots and settle into
> the low spots. Military modelers are supposed to
> be the main users. If applied properly it will not
> fill fine surface lines. Has anyone heard about
> this?

Yes, they call it "surfacer".

Date: 06/18/19 19:07

Do you prefer the small 40mm lacquer based surface primer or the rattle can surface primer in the $7.50 to $15.00 price range?

Date: 06/19/19 18:29

Another modeler tells me enamel paints will not stick to the Tamiya lacquer primer. Any ideas about this? Thanks.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.054 seconds