Home Open Account Help 371 users online

Model Railroading > "Remote control" for blocks and turnouts?

Date: 07/12/19 23:15
"Remote control" for blocks and turnouts?
Author: robbie

Wondering if anyone might have any ideas for a rather strange idea percolating in my rather strange head:

I'm in the final stages of designing a relatively small garden railroad. For wiring purposes, it's basically an oval that's 2/3 double track, 1/3 single track and a passing siding on the single-track section -- so, would allow for 2-train operation so long as you dispatch the single-track properly. This is like every layout I've built in any scale, where I try to have the option to either sit back and let a train circle while I just "railfan" or have the option to be more active with operations, switching, etc.

At this point, I'm planning on sticking with basic DC power. I understand it a whole lot better than DCC, and I have most of the equipment for DC pwoer already rather than shelling out the big bucks for a DCC system. Plus, I'm wary of messing with some of the more exopensive G-scale locomotives to install decoders, and I like it being easy for other folks to bring over their locomotives to run without worrying about decoders, programming, etc. The big downside of DC power right now is that it would tether me to a stationary switchboard to control blocks and powered turnouts. Indoors, this is no big deal, as nothing is that far away. Outdoors, it can be nice to roam around a bit more, especially when I have some old "Train Engineer" remote DC throttles from Aristo that allow for walkaround control. By my count, I'd want to control 4-5 turnouts and 6-8 blocks from such a switchboard.

So, I am wondering if there are any remote-control SPDT or DPDT switches out there, that could enable me to build some kind of a "portable switchboard?" I've looked at some garage-door openers, and wondered if I could adapt the transmitters and receivers to activate a turnout or change block control with the push of a button. I've even wondered if a TV remote or the like could somehow be adapted, so that every time I'd press the "1" button it would either send a momentary purse to change turnout #1 or activate a latching relay to change control of block #1. I've also tried looking into the NMRA's LCC system a bit, but it looks a lot more comoplex than I'd need (using a computer for running trains just seems too close to work rather than hobby, as I usually love model railroading as a way to get away from the computer!).

Or, maybe it's time to just bite the bullet and look into DCC. Would solve all these problems, even if it would mean some electronic and financial heavy lifting up front....

Thanksa for taking the time to read, and any ideas are most appreciated!
Robbie
Perrysburg, Ohio

Date: 07/13/19 18:17
Re: "Remote control" for blocks and turnouts?
Author: Steinzeit2

1.  For openers, do an internet search for " Lighting remote control  " to give you an idea of the economical [ and non-vital ] systems that are out there.   BUT:   These are mostly for indoor usage.  You probably want something that's low voltage dc for outdoor usage unless you are going with the appropriate NEMA enclosure + fittings, and workmanship to match.   Have you done any research via the garden rr magazines regarding electrical layout, especially from a safety standpoint ??
     A hardwired control panel in addition to the 'remote' operation would be a good idea, if only for troubleshooting.

2.  From the description of your layout I would think spring switches [ turnouts ] might solve half the command problem.   You could even have overtaking moves at the passing siding by having the first train proceed through both siding turnouts, and then back in.   Some sort of reed relay system might enable different direction trains to command the block ahead power selection [ if it were in a neutral state, thus giving you a form of moving block train control ] and to 'release' [ to neutral = off ] when in the next block.

3.  If the turnouts were commanded, how would you know what position they were actually in -- without getting out of your chair and inspecting them ?   By the same token, if you have throttles A and B, how would you know which throttle is in command of which block ?

Lots to think about......

Have fun, SZ

Date: 07/13/19 19:06
Author: fbe

Start out with LCC as in Layout Command Control.

https://dccwiki.com/Layout_Command_Control

Date: 07/14/19 09:09
Author: Nomad

You can get remote-control relays that might do the job for you.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01CCSG2ZY/ref=psdcmw_573765011_t1_B01JGDV8UM

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JGDV8UM?tag=amazonqueryr1-20

I used the Solidremote system to add remote control for my truck's door locks and I've been happy with it. I don't have any experience with the other system I linked to but it might be a better choice for you since it can control 4 circuits instead of 2.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0518 seconds