Home Open Account Help 358 users online

Model Railroading > Summer on the Delaware Valley Traction Company

Date: 07/18/19 07:30
Summer on the Delaware Valley Traction Company
Author: birdman

The single truck open car has just come out of the shop having been serviced and repaired.  The DVT has advertised that the car will be run on weekends for the enjoyment of trolley fans and regular customers until the end of September.  Motorman Bill and conductor Dave are taking the car on a test run prior to the car going into weekend service.  The car is a Bachman G Scale car with a scratchbuilt trolley pole and a scratchbuilt truck.  The Bachmann side frames were used on the new truck.  The car runs off of the overhead wire on  2.5 inch gauge track.  Photo three shows the bottom of the car with the homemade truck. 

Date: 07/18/19 07:31
Re: Summer on the Delaware Valley Traction Company

More from the test run

Date: 07/18/19 07:58
Author: CPRR

I absolutely love your layout. The details and the fact it is a true electric operation is fascinating. What gauge wire are you using for the trolley wire, and how does the trolley pole stay on?

Date: 07/18/19 08:19

CPRR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I absolutely love your layout. The details and the
> fact it is a true electric operation is
> fascinating. What gauge wire are you using for the
> trolley wire, and how does the trolley pole stay
> on?

The overhead wire is 20 gauge phosphor bronze.  The trolley wheel is exactly like a real one but much smaller.  if you look at the wheel from the edge rather than the side, there is a V shaped groove in the wheel.  The springs on the pole force the wheel up against the wire which sits in the groove.  The wire must be hung in a certain way (especially on curves) so that the pole and the wheel at the end of the pole track properly but that is another story.  If you look closely in photo 5, you can see the groove in the trolley wheel.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/19 08:21 by birdman.

Date: 07/18/19 15:36
Author: ChrisCampi

Thats sweet! Was the chain drive added?

Date: 07/18/19 15:37
Author: TheIndianaConnection

Whenever i see a post on the model railroad forum from birdman, i always smile and think, i hope there are lots of photos!  Great layout!

Date: 07/18/19 15:52

ChrisCampi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thats sweet! Was the chain drive added?

The entire truck except the Bachmann side frames was scratchbuilt.  The can motor is geared to directly drive the axle on the left in the photo.  There are delrin gears pressed and epoxied onto each axle next to the wheels at the top of the photo. The delrin chain drives the axle on the right as the axle on the left turns.

Date: 07/19/19 05:05
Author: acltrainman

Very nice love seeing the trolleys and your layout.

Stanley Jackowski
Valrico, FL

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0494 seconds