Home Open Account Help 382 users online

Model Railroading > LA questions

Date: 07/18/19 17:52
LA questions
Author: JimMRL

I have scheduled a little vacation next month.  I will be arriving in LA on the Sunset Limited on a Friday morning (5:35 am) and then jumping right back on that night headed back (10:00 pm departure).

So my big question for this knowledgeable group is what train stores should I go to during the day in LA?

About 20 years ago I went to The Original Whistle Stop and Long's Drug.

The initial thoughts are to uber to Arnie's Model Trains (about 30 miles South East from LA Union Station) and then hit Railmaster Hobbies one the way back.  Both are the same direction from the train station.

My big worry about going to any more is that fact that by mid afternoon on a Friday I expect the traffic to become a mess, so I should be able to get to these two and back to the station easy enough.

The next question is, once I am back to the station mid afternoon, what should I do until the train leaves?  What about diner in the area, what are your suggestions?

Date: 07/18/19 18:23
Re: LA questions
Author: MrMRL

For hobby shop ideas (in case you missed the thread a few days back...)

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?3,4827182

~ Mr. MRL

Date: 07/18/19 18:59
Author: PHall

Union Station also has the Gold Line light rail running from East Los Angeles to Azusa and also the Red Line subway which has connections to both the Blue Line Light Rail to Long Beach and the Expo Line which runs to Santa Monica. Plus Metrolink has service during the day to San Bernardino, Orange County and the Antelope Valley.
Not to mention the Amtrak California Surfliners to San Diego and Santa Barbara too. So you have lots of options to keep you busy.

Date: 07/18/19 19:01
Author: alto_towerbob

You need to hit Phillipe just up the street from LAUPT --- beef dip wet, potato salad, pickled egg, lemonade and tapioca pudding.  There is a model train room in the back...  Don't miss it.

Bob

Date: 07/18/19 20:53
Author: PHall

alto_towerbob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You need to hit Phillipe just up the street from
> LAUPT --- beef dip wet, potato salad, pickled egg,
> lemonade and tapioca pudding.  There is a model
> train room in the back...  Don't miss it.
>
> Bob

Just don't expect to get in and out in less then an hour.
There's always a line, but it's worth it.

Date: 07/18/19 22:36
Author: needles_sub

PHillipe's is overated. Was good years ago. Now people go there just to say they have been there.
Your better off going to a mexican restraunt in Olivera street.

Posted from Android

Date: 07/19/19 12:31
Author: CPRR

needles_sub Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> PHillipe's is overated. Was good years ago. Now
> people go there just to say they have been there.
>
> Your better off going to a mexican restraunt in
> Olivera street.

I will not agree, Phillpe's has stayed consistant through the years. What has really changed is now the selection of food within walking distanace of Union Station:

At Union Station, lots of snacks, plus the brewery in the old restuarant space

Within a mile:
Casa La Golondrina Mexican Cafe, Olvera Street, since 1924
Spring Street Smokehouse, Spring St and Ceasar Chavez Ave
Up the street from Phillepe's:
The Little Jewel of New Orleans (Excellent Southern food)
All of Chinatown

Take the Gold line to Little Tokyo Station:
All of Little Tokyo is there. Diakokuya on 1st street has the BEST noodles in Los Angeles. The line wait is worth it.
Walk down Alameda to Traction Ave, turn left, there is Angel City Brewing
Wurstkuche is further east, excellent sausage and beer

If you want even more of adventure, take the Red Line from Union Station out to the Westlake?MacArthur Park station. Pop up out of the ground, walk across the street to Langers Deli, home of THE BEST pastrami sandwich in Los Angeles. They are open from 7am to 4pm only. The M-F lunch lunchtime train is known as the Pastrami Express.

If you have even more time on your hands, thake the Red Line to 7th Street station, transfer to the Expo Line, take it to the end in Santa Monica, and there are so many restaurants, and things to see at the beach.

Have a good time....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/19 12:38 by CPRR.

Date: 07/19/19 13:28
Author: Fizzboy7

I invite you to my hobby/train store, Smith Brothers Hobby Center in Northridge, in the San Fernando Valley.   You can also visit The Train Shack along the way in Burbank.      Plenty of good eating places in between, and also in Burbank along the 5. 
Have a great trip!

Jason Eminian
Smith Brothers Hobby Center

Date: 07/21/19 18:54
Author: mundo

This summer the Blue Line and Gold Line to Santa Monica can be closed for some construction, so do not depened upon either.

Frankly can not see using transit to reach either one of these locations, but I am not awsre of their location to transit either.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0585 seconds