Home Open Account Help 207 users online

Model Railroading > Changing American Flyer 4-8-4 Northern #336 number boards

Date: 08/02/19 19:37
Changing American Flyer 4-8-4 Northern #336 number boards
Author: patd3985

Well, after trying decals to replace the #336 on my old number boards, I got lucky and found a like-new pair! My question is: Does anyone know how to change them? It looks like a small phillips head screw holding them on, but also looks like a small peened over rivet? Any help or info on how to change them? In this case, the internet doesn't seem to be my friend!........Thanx,.....Pat

Date: 08/03/19 09:56
Re: Changing American Flyer 4-8-4 Northern #336 number boards
Author: Streamliner

It is a peened over rivet with a “+” sort of stamped into the top of it.  I believe that if you get one end of the hole tucked in place and then sort of gently but firmly rotate the number board back & forth, while pressing it down, it will pop down into place.  It will remain a tad loose.  If this is a problem, it can be remedied by some additional peening, but you need to be very careful, as the boiler casting is somewhat fragile and can crack.  

Good luck,
Allen Drucker

Date: 08/03/19 11:28
Author: Westbound

Since used rivets have no value, sounds like a job for a powered rotary tool. Just equip it with two cutting disks (not just one since they fracture easily and two together are very strong) and cut / grind that rivet head away. 

Date: 08/03/19 15:35
Author: Streamliner

Actually, I misspoke:  It is not a rivet, as such, but a raised “nub,”  for lack of a better term, that is part of the boiler casting.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0238 seconds