Home Open Account Help 320 users online

Model Railroading > walthers bridge dimensions

Date: 07/31/03 14:01
walthers bridge dimensions
Author: reboog

Does anyone know the overall dimensions for the walthers double track truss bridge? This is the HO scale version. Also, does it accomidate double stack hights over the bridge? Thanks.

Date: 07/31/03 14:30
Re: walthers bridge dimensions
Author: fmilhaupt

Assuming you\'re talking about their #933-3012, it\'s 15" long, 5" wide and 4.35" tall.

It\'s a good thing you asked about double-stacks, because it\'s a steam-era design and my experience has been that it won\'t clear double-stacks without heavy modification.

-fm

Date: 07/31/03 14:35
Author: sd80mac

Hi Redog,

I just finished building one of these bridges and had to modify it considerably to fit double stacks.

I used an Athean Husky stack and an NMRA gauge to measure the clearance and found that with the original top cross members there was only a few scale inches of clearance. I basically tossed the Walthers parts and opted to use Evergreen 1/4" I-beams to span the tops giving me more clearance. On the ends, I used Evergreen 5/16" channel and will be adding gussets in the corners as well.

I\'ll try and get a picture up as soon as I can to show you the mods.

-sd80mac-

P.S. I have one more of these bridges to build, but I think I\'m going to modify this one even more, replacing some of the thick, molded verticle I-beams with finer Evergreen 3/16" I-beams. I do like the look of intricate lace-webbing, but this will be a heavily-use, high-speed, double-track mainline bridge that will have to hold up against the constant barrage of (HO scale) trains!

reboog wrote:

> Does anyone know the overall dimensions for the walthers
> double track truss bridge? This is the HO scale version.
> Also, does it accomidate double stack hights over the bridge?
> Thanks.
]

Date: 07/31/03 14:37
Author: Lighter

I filed the draft angle off the tops of the floor girders. I assembled the floor upside down being careful to seat all the pieces. With ME code 83 bridge track I get 1/16" clearance with an Athearn Maxi-Stack on stock wheels, loaded with two Athearn containers, making sure the pegs are in the holes.

Date: 07/31/03 14:39
Author: Lighter

That, of course, would be an Athearn Husky Stack that I used!

Date: 07/31/03 14:56
Author: gp74444

i was going to to try to modify one to look like this one . the holes in the beems should be easy with a punch .

Date: 07/31/03 15:25
Author: reboog

Thanks all for the responses.

I\'m not too handy with major reconstruction on structures. Can you all recommend another bridge manufacturer suitable for double-stack heights?

Thanks.

Date: 07/31/03 16:30
Author: Doc

Check out this earlier thread for more info and a great link for mods: http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?f=3&i=68710&t=68710
Doc

Date: 07/31/03 17:26
Author: stmarieswestern

In the latest Walthers Sale Circular I\'ve recently received, they mention the upcoming release of a single track truss bridge similar to this double track bridge. Hard to tell from the illustration provided, but I was wondering if the same clearance problems will be encountered with the single track truss? I model pre-1980; do bi-level autoracks have any clearance problems? I haven\'t worked with the Walthers truss bridge.

Tony Dell
Puyallup WA

Date: 07/31/03 23:27
Reboog, try this link...

Date: 07/31/03 23:28
Re: Reboog, try this link...

Date: 08/01/03 21:18
Author: cjohnson

The new Walthers single track bridge appears to be entirely new, not just new floorbeams and laterals between the double track trusses, so there might not be a clearance problem.

Only double stacks, 20\'-2" autoracks (like the Automax) and a few other special cars/loads should have a clearance problem, regular autoracks are fine.

Chris Johnson

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0533 seconds