Home Open Account Help 217 users online

Model Railroading > Malcolm Furlow Returns!!!!

Date: 08/03/03 05:27
Malcolm Furlow Returns!!!!
Author: slugbug

Did any of you catch the "return of Malcolm Furlow" in the latest MR?

What\'s your impression?

MY first thought was THIS is what would happen if you kidnapped George Sellios, tied him down and force fed him Mescaline for a couple of years, then locked him in a storage shed baking in the desert heat. VERY interesting stuff. . .but it also seemed kinda. . .well, of another generation of modelers. Terry Thompson in the MR editorial mentioned the big shift towards prototype-based modeling, and that\'s apparent in that you don\'t see very many wildly fantasy-based model railroads like this latest Furlow layout.

That guy sure has an imagination. And, Malcolm, don\' touch the Yellow Acid. . . .it\'s a bummer, man.

BTW, I didn\'t see any provision for staging yards or car card/waybill operation on this latest railroad. . .

Date: 08/03/03 07:12
Re: Malcolm Furlow Returns!!!!
Author: Lighter

slugbug wrote:

> Did any of you catch the "return of Malcolm Furlow" in the
> latest MR?
>
> What\'s your impression?

Self indulgent orgasm.
I\'m a fan of a lot of Furlow\'s stuff. Not this one.

Date: 08/03/03 07:48
Author: Frisco1522

Ah yes, a legend in his own mind. I thought we were rid of this kind of stuff?

Date: 08/03/03 08:14
Author: vasouthern

No proto rosters, pics, diagrams, complete operations manuals, signals, locos with perfect rivet detail......geez

How could this even make it to the pages of MR?

Simple, its Furlow. Granted he is a very talented artist.......

If I built a layout like this, would it have been published???

Anyway, to each their own I guess, its still neat to see what you can do with talents, even if its not your thing.....still trains, still fun!

Searching for my sombrarro.....will look great as I pull a string of coal hoppers at Moss #1!

Randy

Date: 08/03/03 09:09
A heavy dose of mushrooms ...
Author: WrongWayMurphy

must have been what inspired
this. Don\'t ask me how I know.
While the man is definately very
talented, like Machael Murphey
he turned his back on Texas and
moved to Santa Fe. I understand
why they did, as Santa Fe is a
wonderful spot, but couldn\'t they
have just made it their 2nd home?

As for the trains, I would much
rather have seen, on the pages used
on this one, an operations oriented
layout, of which there must me a
hundred good ones across the USA
that deserve a spread over this
vertically viewed fantasy.

Date: 08/03/03 10:31
Re: A heavy dose of mushrooms ...
Author: plainsman

Yes, how dare anyone have plain old unadulterated fun with their modeling. This is serious business, after all.

Date: 08/03/03 21:58
Author: danco

> How could this even make it to the pages of MR?
>
> Simple, its Furlow. Granted he is a very talented
> artist.......

Yes, he\'s very talented. But his new layout belongs in "Disney Imagineering Monthly," not Model Railroader. The quality is right up there with "Pirates of the Caribean" and the "Haunted Mansion."

--Dan

Date: 08/03/03 22:47
Author: tomcarter

...and it\'s a hell of a lot better than a lot of stuff I\'ve seen in MR lately, and especially better than a lot of the layouts posted here.

Oh wait, not many of you folks post your layouts here. Or even have one I\'d guess.

Point is, the guys enjoying himself in a *hobby*. He\'s doing it for fun and there are a lot of us that did enjoy it. Endless strings of double stacks headed by green and orange Dash-9\'s get old. So do the long passenger trains featured in MR, the mega layouts, club layouts, Tehachapi loops, the Midwest racetracks, etc. Each modeler enjoys a certain era or type of modeling, so who are any of us to say this layout didn\'t belong? That\'s kind of arrogant isn\'t it? This is a hobby and it\'s for fun. What works for some folks don\'t work for others, however, there is NOTHING wrong with a little diversity, so for some of you to sit and speculate on a modelers "acid trip" or any of the other insanely ridiculous comments made in this post, lets see you do better. If you do, fine. But don\'t go blasting a guy because of his layout choice because it just isn\'t fair. To each his own, that\'s what makes our hobby so much fun.

Date: 08/03/03 23:35
Author: fjc

It\'s this simple, either you like his work or you don\'t. There\'s no disputing the fact that he\'s a talented artist.

Date: 08/04/03 00:45
Author: trainmaster

Personally I kind of enjoyed seeing Malcolm Furlow\'s work again. Sure it\'s fantasy, but it\'s meant for him to have fun with. I also think he\'s a very talented guy. I have a video tape produced by the folks at MR in which Malcolm talks about scenery and shows some of his layout. I enjoyed watching the video because he not only was good at scenery, but it was apparent he really enjoyed what he was doing and it was fun. Just my 2 cents worth.

Date: 08/04/03 05:11
Author: narrowgauge

I enjoyed this update on Furlow. I have his HOn3 modeling book and consider it a classic. People may not like his concepts, but his execution is nothing short of spectacular.
Narrowgauge

Date: 08/04/03 08:37
Author: saboja

i say WAY TO GO malcom!!
your work is very very good, but i have to say i like your older stuff much better. when i was looking at the photos, i was very confused on a focus point,but the details was incredable.

just my 2 cents...

jeff

Date: 08/04/03 14:46
Author: slugbug

but does it RUN? Or just look cool sitting there?

Date: 08/04/03 20:42
Author: Vunderbob

I finally got the mag today. Malcom\'s execution is exquisite, like George Sellios\', but both of them give me a headache.

That centerspread of Mexican Hat Canyon is great. However, there is too much going on in too small of a space, and I defy anyone to show me a densepack like that in real life. As an art project, go Malcom!

Eric Brooman, Allan McLeland (sp?), and SantaFeDan are the people I aspire to emulate whenever I get around to building scenery

Date: 08/04/03 22:37
Author: saludamtn

\'Endless strings of double stacks headed by green and orange Dash-9\'s get old. So do the long passenger trains featured in MR, the mega layouts, club layouts, Tehachapi loops, the Midwest racetracks, etc.\'

AMEN!!! Preach on my brother!!!

Date: 08/05/03 10:55
Author: clinchvalley

Honestly I never cared much for his stuff. Not my kind of modeling.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0604 seconds