Home Open Account Help 203 users online

Model Railroading > 1/87 scale vehicles

Date: 09/09/19 14:40
1/87 scale vehicles
Author: gp60

Can anybody shed some light on the quality of Qxford Diecast vehicles? I know that the availabilty of HO vehicles is getting harder to come by compared to years ago. I saw some one posted somthing about a chocking hazard. What a crock. Everything in life can be a chocking hazard. Lets get rid of everything. I am lucky to have collected a lot of HO vehicles year ago when the made some nice ones. Well thanks for letting me air my laundry. Just wondering about the Oxford Diecast vehicles. Thanks DW

Date: 09/09/19 16:14
Re: 1/87 scale vehicles
Author: binder001

Personally I LIKE most of the stuff from Oxford.  Great prices, many of the models fit into my model scenarios.  Maybe not the most intricate details, but I am willing to add some things.  They ARE one of the few who add the "FORD" or whatever across the pickup tail gate.  I have bought quite a few and look forward to buying more.

Gary B.
Waverly, NE

Date: 09/09/19 16:59
Author: gp60

I saw a bunch of them listed on Amazon.

Date: 09/09/19 18:17
Author: icancmp193

They are not bad and the later releases are getting better! 65 Chevy pick-up, 68 Dodge Charger, 46 Desoto Suburban and others are all pretty good.

TJY
Crescent Station

Date: 09/09/19 22:36
Author: Sasquatch

Are these a good choice for (70's-style) open-type autoracks? My bud used a load of metal cars and he said the metal cars (called something like Fresh Cherries I think) on his racks make the car top heavy and not the best for stability.

Would the brand we're talking about be a more stable solution?

- Tom

Posted from Android

Date: 09/09/19 23:48
Author: funnelfan

So far I've only bought the 1965 Cheney Pickup. It was a little disappointing to find the cab is clear plastic with painted areas while the body is cast metal. There is a funky area at the corner windshield too. If you can find them cheap, they would make good autorack loads.

https://cdn10.bigcommerce.com/s-gv6ck/products/2415/images/5006/IMG_6606_800x755__30125.1506183626.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 09/10/19 07:31
Author: icancmp193

Sasquatch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are these a good choice for (70's-style)
> open-type autoracks? My bud used a load of metal
> cars and he said the metal cars (called something
> like Fresh Cherries I think) on his racks make the
> car top heavy and not the best for stability.
>
> Would the brand we're talking about be a more
> stable solution?
>
> - Tom
>
> Posted from Android

I would think any of these die-cast vehicles (Fresh Cherries or Oxford)  would make a very heavy (and top heavy) auto rack load. And, if you had a bunch of autoracks (10 or 20) loaded up, a challenging pull for your locomotives.

TJY

Date: 09/10/19 11:15
Author: Matt_Gidley

They are discast, so think more Malibu than Herpa.  Some details are omitted and some are chunky.  The paint and printing on some of the last ones is pretty good though. 
In my experience you really have to judge them vehicle by vehicle.  I bought the new Charger Daytona which is a nice model, but avoided the Charger which in my opinion looks wrong proportion wise (and I dont like the fornt grille/lights). 
I bought the Nomad and the Impala with the flame paint and they are nice.  Try to see them in person or look at internet pictures and judge which ones work for you. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0419 seconds