Home Open Account Help 366 users online

Model Railroading > Modern Layout Ops

Date: 09/10/19 11:20
Modern Layout Ops
Author: railtrackdesign

Hi all:

I’m doing some car planning/ops for my Modern Layout.

I’m planning on using Car Cards and Waybills for simplicity.

I’ve got a Automotive Plant, and a couple small industries. One Industry is the Walthers Buds Trucking Company. What rail service would I expect for the waybills?

Thanks!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/10/19 11:31
Re: Modern Layout Ops
Author: Bob3985

Well, for one, your Bud's Trucking Company could be loading/unloading trailers at a piggyback ramp. Or it could be a trailer to boxcar transfer facility with trailers being transloaded into or out of boxcars. Also these days you have fracking sand facilities transloading sand from Covered Hoppers to trucks for the oil industry. Some of those facilities use a conveyor loader from the bottom of the hopper up into the sand trailer on the 18 wheeler truck. Let your mind's imagination take you where it wishes.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 09/11/19 05:04
Author: VunderBob

What says Bud's Trucking has to be a trucking operation? It's a building, you're not obligated to make it what the name on the box says.

Date: 09/13/19 10:48
Author: funnelfan

For a automotive plant, your talking about a lot of traffic;
Inbound;
Motors
Tires
Wheels
Body Stampings
Frames (for large vehicle plants)
Lights and Electrical parts
Seats and Carpet
Dash and Interior Plastic Componets
Acid for Acid Bath
Paint and Coatings

Outbound;
Finished Vehicles

As for the Trucking company, I would model it as a cross-dock storage and tranfer business. They are popular for beer and beverages, canned foods, dry goods and cereal among other things.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 09/14/19 08:15
Author: Larry020

Using a one finished car per minute you can easily see that an eight hour shift includes a tremendous amount of traffic.  One automobile per minute requires 40 autoracks every eight hours.  

Batteries are very heavy per cubic foot.  A 50’ boxcar of batteries would not be more than let’s figure 1/4 full.  Fenders, doors, and tires are not too heavy per cubic foot and will fill an 86’ boxcar.  

The wooden pallet (or skid) was invented in 1932.  Figure one boxcar of empty pallets going back for every ten boxcars of parts coming in.  

Model Railroader did a two part article about twenty years ago.  They described both a transition and modern railroad with an auto plant. 

funnelfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For an automotive plant, you’re speaking about a lot
> of traffic;
> Inbound;
> Motors
> Tires
> Wheels
> Body Stampings
> Frames (for large vehicle plants)
> Lights and Electrical parts
> Seats and Carpet
> Dash and Interior Plastic Componets
> Acid for Acid Bath
> Paint and Coatings
>
> Outbound;
> Finished Vehicles
>
> As for the Trucking company, I would model it as a
> cross-dock storage and tranfer business. They are
> popular for beer and beverages, canned foods, dry
> goods and cereal among other things.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0344 seconds