Home Open Account Help 345 users online

Model Railroading > New TCS KA-1 and KA-2 Run time?

Date: 09/12/19 11:15
New TCS KA-1 and KA-2 Run time?
Author: mttrainman1

Looking at using TCS's new and improved KA1@KA2 in combo with tsunami 2 and esu micro on some small ho locos. If anyone has used these new keep alives could you tell me roughly how long they keep an atlas or genesis gp series loco with sound and lights on after power loss? Thanks!

Date: 09/12/19 12:46
Re: New TCS KA-1 and KA-2 Run time?
Author: M-420

mttrainman1 

Here's a round-about answer: I use the KA-4 in my Tsunami 2 geeps. When fully charged, they stay alive for about 8-10 seconds after power down.

TCS's webste says of the new KA-1's and 2's: 
"Newly-redesigned and coming in at half the size of a KA3, the KA1 will power HO or N scale locomotives with approximately one-third of the capacitance of KA3/KA4 devices (depending on the locomotive and motor)."

So 3 seconds or so??????

Brian E

Date: 09/12/19 20:31
Author: sixaxlecentury

About 3-4 is right.   They are the perfect size, in both size and time.  

Date: 09/12/19 22:02
Author: railstiesballast

In my opinion 2-3 seconds is all I need.
This is enough to get over an insulated frog or to let a automatic reversing section react when a train runs across a polarity change.
As to the time factor, it depends on what the decoder is doing, they can keep a light on or a sound active longer if the traction motor is not drawing power.

Date: 09/14/19 09:04
Author: M-420

railstiesballast Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In my opinion 2-3 seconds is all I need.This is enough to get over an insulated frog or to
> let a automatic reversing section react when a  train runs across a polarity change.
> As to the time factor, it depends on what the  decoder is doing, they can keep a light on or a
> sound active longer if the traction motor is not  drawing power.

Absolutely!  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/19 09:05 by M-420.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0388 seconds