Home Open Account Help 383 users online

Model Railroading > Recommend decoders for Genesis F3A&B

Date: 10/01/19 05:33
Recommend decoders for Genesis F3A&B
Author: fltenwheeler

I purchased a NOS Genesis F3A & F3B set. I would like recommendations for decoders with sound. I am getting back into HO after many years.

Thanks

Tim

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/01/19 05:40
Re: Recommend decoders for Genesis F3A&B
Author: BlackWidow

How much time and money do you want to put into this?  I have equipped Genesis F Units with SoundTraxx Economi decoders.   Good sound a good price, but not all the bells and whistles (pun intended - it actually does have the bell and whistle...) as a more full function decoder.  I have been happy with the results.

Date: 10/01/19 05:52

BlackWidow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How much time and money do you want to put into
> this?  I have equipped Genesis F Units with
> SoundTraxx Economi decoders.   Good sound a good
> price, but not all the bells and whistles (pun
> intended - it actually does have the bell and
> whistle...) as a more full function decoder.  I
> have been happy with the results.

I think that would work for the B unit but would like a higher end unit for the A unit.

Thanks

Tim

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/01/19 07:23
Author: Bob3985

The Tsunami has the best EMD 567 sound to it in my opinion. In my case I don't need most of the bells and whistles sounds that the others install.
I heard enough cab chatter and other sounds in my career that I would block out to hear the sounds of my Rock Island 409 performing as it should being the leader of much more modern power because it had the CCS cab signal system on it for the Illinois Division.
In my life the EMD567 and Alco244 instilled the railroad heartbeat in me forcing my decision of the career of choice.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 10/01/19 07:48
Author: BAB

Check with Soundtraxx about a drop in one for them think they have one which is a full function one a step above what was factory suppied one from Athearn.

Date: 10/01/19 09:08
Author: MMD

Also check out Train Control Systems WOW Sound, and have a look at their installations on there site, lot of good information there.

Malcolm
New Zealand

Date: 10/01/19 09:46
Author: CPR_4000

WRT older DC only stuff ... would it be more marketable if I installed a DCC plug? Would that make it "DCC ready?" If so, what kind of plug would be best?

Date: 10/01/19 16:40
Author: WrongWayMurphy

I like The Tsunami2  for the 567 chant

Date: 10/01/19 18:34
Author: TomG

I agree with soundtraxx. I use tsunami2 in A units and regular Tsunamis in B units. If i have to buy more i might us econami's in the Bs. Best sounding 567s.

Date: 10/01/19 19:58
Author: wabash2800

I plan on using the LOK for mine when I get to that point as I need more light functions. I plan on re-doing the numberboards so I can light them (on and off) plus marker lights, truck lights, Mars light, regular headlight, etc., etc., I have a video that shows how to redo the number boards. If I follow the videos instructions, I can reuse the numberboard glass.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Date: 10/02/19 04:54

I would like to thank everyone for their input.

Tim

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0428 seconds