Home Open Account Help 369 users online

Model Railroading > Tehachapi traintime

Date: 11/13/19 10:43
Tehachapi traintime
Author: trackplanner

SP 8982 East rattles through the crossover in the middle of Bealville siding on the La Mesa club's Tehachapi layout (Don DeLay models and photo).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/19 10:48 by trackplanner.

Date: 11/13/19 11:09
Re: Tehachapi traintime
Author: tomstp

That is about as real looking scene on model railroad you can have.

Date: 11/13/19 12:37
Author: chakk

Been there -- done that many times in the past 19 months.   This is one truly great model railroad to visit in Balboa Park, San Diego, California.

Date: 11/13/19 16:30
Author: Betsy

Super job Don!  That's a great photo location, but the models themselves really help the scene have that completely authentic look.

Elizabeth

Date: 11/13/19 17:21

Thanks Liz, it's a spot I probably overshoot though.... ;-)

Date: 11/13/19 17:24
Author: SPDRGWfan

Major like!

Posted from Android

Date: 11/13/19 18:43
Author: winstonhill

In case you were wondering about the jog in the track by the signal, there used to be a center siding between the two existing (ca. 1952) tracks; this was removed around the time the CTC was installed (during WWII), leaving a space in between.

Winston Hill

Date: 11/13/19 19:06
Author: ChrisCampi

Wow, sure feels like a late summer evening!

Date: 11/13/19 19:17
Author: Betsy

trackplanner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks Liz, it's a spot I probably overshoot
> though.... ;-)

Well, you can't go wrong with the classics.  I doubt anyone ever said "I wish I'd taken fewer photos at Walong,or Cape Horn, or... . "  Case in point, a re-post of my beet train at the same location (Dave Giglio photo)

Date: 11/13/19 20:30

Big like!

Date: 11/15/19 13:04
Author: johnsweetser

winstonhill wrote:

> In case you were wondering about the jog in the track by the signal, there used to be a center siding between the two existing (ca. 1952) tracks; this was removed around the time the CTC was installed (during WWII), leaving a space in between.

There wasn't really a "center siding" at Bealville (the term "center siding" normally refers to a siding between two main lines).  There was an eastward siding and a westward siding.

Both sidings existed prior to the 1943 installation of CTC and remained in place with CTC. The eastward siding was removed sometime between late 1959 and early 1960 when the Bealville and Allard sidings were connected.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/19 13:28 by johnsweetser.

Date: 11/15/19 14:15
Author: PHall

Didn't they have some wide spots between tracks at the water tank locations for the water cranes between the tracks?

Date: 11/17/19 10:12
Author: Wildebeest

PHall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Didn't they have some wide spots between tracks at
> the water tank locations for the water cranes
> between the tracks?

Yes, but as far as I know, on the north slope of the Tehahchapis, water plugs were only located at Caliente, Bealville and Woodford (and at Terhachapi).  The plugs at Caliente we accomodated by the wide centers between the main track and the eastward siding.  The one at Bealville was south of the main track (and was rarely used).  Woodford, which was the normal water stop for eatward freight trains, had slightly wider centers at its four water plugs, and unless they've changed recently, the jogs to clear them are still in the siding alignment, especially visible in the tangent track at the east (south) end.  Here's a picture of the one of the jogs that I took about 15 years ago.

D F W

Date: 11/20/19 13:41
Author: johnsweetser

Wildebeest wrote:

> ... as far as I know, on the north slope of the Tehahchapis, water plugs were only located at Caliente, Bealville and Woodford (and at Terhachapi).  

A Feb. 1943 San Joaquin Division employee timetable indicates water was available at Marcel, so there probably was a plug there.  

No water facility for Marcel was listed in a March 1944 San Joaquin Div. employee timetable.  I suspect that the completion of CTC in 1943 speeded up operations enough to make a plug at Marcel redundent.

Belated correction:  No plug at Marcel, just a spout on the water tank.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/22 23:58 by johnsweetser.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0567 seconds