Home Open Account Help 218 users online

Model Railroading > Rapido SF 36-7 - LokSound 5 CVs and Function Mapping

Date: 11/21/19 15:57
Rapido SF 36-7 - LokSound 5 CVs and Function Mapping
Author: jsnoy

I like my new Rapido B36-7, but I am frustrated to learn the LokSound 5 Function Mapping scheme plus all the index CVs.  I understand technology never stands still, but the leading Sound decoder manufacturers (SoundTraxx, TCS, ESU, etc) are making it hard to maintain a consistent set of Function settings (F0, F1, F2, F3, etc) across my fleet of diesel and steam locos (130+) of which about 50 are on the layout right now. I love electronics and jumped into DCC back in the 1990s.  I also jumped into JMRI and DecoderPro years ago. All the Functions and all the CVs were so simple then.   Now the original 10 Functions have expanded to 28 or is it 32  and the original 255 CVs have grown to 1000+ with the advent of index CVs.  Remapping and Reprogramming the Function keys used to be simple, but not now. I just added my LokSound 5 equipped B36-7 to my JMRI/DecoderPro loco roster and opened the Function Mapping pane and was completely overwhelmed - it is so different than the Tsunami2 or TCS/WOW Function mapping panes that I have become familiar with in the past.

I have a large basement layout with about 15 UP, SF or DRGW multi-unit trains setup - I vary the loco compositions over time.  My style of operation is to use a walk-around throttle in one hand and keep my eyes on the train.  I want to avoid carrying a "scorecard" of function settings in the other hand that are unique to each train. My desire is to standardize on a consistent set of Function buttons (F0-F10).  I'm almost there, but each new decoder seems to have a new "cutsie" sound or light function that I can't live without. 

I'm just an "old dog" that needs to learn "new tricks".   Model train electronics is truly spectacular IMO.

Thanks for listening to my rant.

Joe in Castle Rock, CO on the Joint Line.  (the Joint Line is in my basement too).

Joe    

Date: 11/21/19 18:33
Re: Rapido SF 36-7 - LokSound 5 CVs and Function Mapping
Author: tmurray

If it were only that easy!

Each time one of the model manufacturers (Athearn, Atlas, Rapdio, BLI, Bowser/Stewart, whoever) starts working with one of the decoder manufacturers: ESU, TCS, SoundTraxx, the model manufacturer dictates what happens with each function. So with each new model release, there are new functions! 

I share your frustration and annoyance.
I'm an ESU hand held user, so at least for the first 4 functions I can map the buttons providing some levity.

Date: 11/22/19 06:54
Author: brfriedm

I highly recommend the Facebook page "ESU CabControl and LokSound Installations Group"

Lots of very knowledable folks who answer all your questions.

Bruce

Date: 11/22/19 13:04
Author: tsokolan

I wouldn't blame ESU for the function mapping/settings, as Rapido decides on the mapping for each model, and they tend not to follow the ESU standard mapping arrangment for CV's and functions. 

Trevor 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0481 seconds