Home Open Account Help 370 users online

Model Railroading > New problem

Date: 12/02/19 18:37
New problem
Author: refarkas

Thanks for those who answered my last question.
I use DC. Originally I had a problem with stalling at switches and thought I'd have to power the frogs. After cleaning the rails again twice, both of my new Bachmann N scale GE 70 ton locomotives can go through the switchesand around the layout at a faster speed than I will accept for operating normally. In reverse, both have their headlight working and run smoothly. In forward, both have their headlights blink on once for a fraction of a second and then the light stays off as the locomotives jerk (speed up and slow down quickly) all the way around the layout. When I tried cleaning the wheels by putting one truck on 91% isoprophyl alcohol soaked paper towels and leaving the other truck free to get power, both locomotives had one truck run on the paper with no problems but after switching the trucks around, the other truck would not run on the paper.
May I have some suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Bob

Date: 12/02/19 19:19
Re: New problem
Author: ChrisCampi

That second truck is not collecting/ delivering power. You’ll need to troubleshoot the truck for conectivity problems. Could have dirty pickups or a broken wire/ bad connection.

Edit to say that I just realized you mention both loco’s had this issue. Is it possible they are designed with only one truck picking up power?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/19 19:27 by ChrisCampi.

Date: 12/02/19 19:51
Author: atsf121

ChrisCampi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That second truck is not collecting/ delivering
> power. You’ll need to troubleshoot the truck for
> conectivity problems. Could have dirty pickups or
> a broken wire/ bad connection.
>
> Edit to say that I just realized you mention both
> loco’s had this issue. Is it possible they are
> designed with only one truck picking up power?

Chris may be on to something there.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/02/19 20:31

In spookshow's review he said all wheels pick up power and all wheels are geared.
Bob

Date: 12/02/19 20:39
Author: TCnR

refarkas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In spookshow's review he said all wheels pick up
> power and all wheels are geared.
> Bob

Sounds like it's narrowed down to a bad connection from one of the trucks.

http://www.spookshow.net/loco/bach70ton.html

Date: 12/02/19 21:17

I e-mailed Bachmann service a couple hours ago. Both of these locomotives were purchased new a few days ago. I'm curious what Bachmann will say.
Thanks to all who have helped so far.
Bob

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.3905 seconds