Home Open Account Help 206 users online

Model Railroading > New Problem (Update)

Date: 12/03/19 22:48
New Problem (Update)
Author: refarkas

I use the Aristo-Craft Basic Train Engineer Walk-Around Control System for DC to control my locomotives. Unfortunately although it is DC, and the two Bachmann GE 70 ton locomotives are DC compatible, the Aristo-Craft system confuses the locomotives, so they don't work properly (They jerk a great deal in forward and can't run slowly or have the headlights on in forward.) Yet the one locomotive works beautifully on straight DC. The other locomotive is defective and only has one truck powered, so it will have to be returned to Bachmann to be fixed.
My only choices seem to be 1.) either keep the locomotives and go back to an expensive tethered walk-around throttle (I only want a new throttle if I have to get one.) while giving up the Aristo-Craft's radio control, or 2.) pay a restocking fee for the one operating locomotive even though it is DC compatible (except with my system), send the defective unit to Bachmann to be fixed or hopefully replaced with a new one and see if I can sell it as it will most likely be to late to return to the company from which I bought it. 
I sent an e-mail to Bachmann last night explaining this and am awaiting their input into this.
At least I know what the problems are!
Bob

See new update later in this post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/19 13:02 by refarkas.

Date: 12/04/19 05:10
Re: New Problem (Update)
Author: VunderBob

The Aristo-Craft throttles output pulse power, which would confuse a decoder expecting a pulse train. You could try adding capacitors  between the throttles and layout to smooth the pulse train into something that more closely resembles a constant voltage (doesn't have to be exact).

Sorry I can't explain how to hook the capacitors up or recommend a size, I didn't do well in analog electronics. About a bazillion handbooks will have circuits for power filters.

Date: 12/04/19 05:22
Author: SPDRGWfan

VunderBob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Aristo-Craft throttles output pulse power,
> which would confuse a decoder expecting a pulse
> train. You could try adding capacitors  between
> the throttles and layout to smooth the pulse train
> into something that more closely resembles a
> constant voltage (doesn't have to be exact).
>
> Sorry I can't explain how to hook the capacitors
> up or recommend a size, I didn't do well in analog
> electronics. About a bazillion handbooks will have
> circuits for power filters.

I have an old Star Tec Hogger DC power pack that came with a bi-polar capacitor that they stated you could simply add to the two terminal track power outputs to smooth the power going to the tracks; otherwise there was some pulse in the power.  I don't recall the specs on it that that's the basic ideal I recall.

Cheers, Jim

Date: 12/04/19 13:04
Author: refarkas

Thankfully I found my old power pack. It still had its tethered walk around throttle. I hooked it up, and it still works fine.
Now to test it out more than a minute or two.
Bob

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0454 seconds