Home Open Account Help 328 users online

Model Railroading > 3D Printer (Part 1) – Why I Purchased It

Date: 01/20/20 23:51
3D Printer (Part 1) – Why I Purchased It
Author: tmotor

This is Part 1 of a series on my recent experience with an AnyCubic “Photon S” 3D printer.

For the past decade, I have been periodically checking the latest progress filament 3D printers were making in terms of the level of detail in the printed parts.  They melt plastic (filament) and build-up layers to form the part.  The layer lines were obviously not going to work for the miniatures I wanted to print, but I kept requesting samples every so often. 

A few years ago resin-based printers were introduced, which dramatically increased the resolution of the printed parts.  These printers use a different technology to build the layers.  Resin is exposed to UV light, which hardens the resin into a thin layer.  These layers build upon each other to print the part.  Sounded interesting, but I was expecting the usual visible layer lines that had disappointed me so many times before.

I visited RailMaster Hobbies (Bellflower, CA) looking for model railroad items, and noticed a resin-based 3D printer in the store.  They had some sample parts on display that it had printed.  I was Blown Away by the level of detail!  The 3D printer I saw was the Photon, by AnyCubic.  They have an improved version, called the Photon S.  I figured that I had waited this long, so I might as well pay the extra for their state-of-the-art version, so I could push the limits of the printer.

I will share my journey with the “Photon S” 3D printer.  I prefer to post it here on the Model Railroad forum, vs. the Railfan Technology, since the main purpose is to print scale parts in miniature.

This is not intended to be a sales pitch of any specific brand or company.  I’m not associated with AnyCubic or pushing their hardware.  Also, I’m no expert on the subject.  My printer arrived 3 weeks ago, so I’m definitely still a rookie.  There is a learning curve (as there is with any new technology, remember DCC…) and I have learned a few things along the way.  My goal is to lend some insight by sharing my knowledge, and how to avoid some of the rookie errors I have made.  Perhaps it will inspire those that have been on the fence to take the plunge.

To give an idea of the resolution possible, the first “real” part that I printed is for an NSC articulated 3-unit well car in HO scale.  (Walthers offers these as 3 single wells draw-barred together, but does not offer the more common articulated version.) This part is still a work in-progress, but it does incorporate a feature never seen on a production DTTX HO model.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/20 00:25 by tmotor.

Date: 01/20/20 23:58
Re: 3D Printer (Part 1) – Why I Purchased It

That is an image of the NSC prototype (DTTX 786391):

An image of the part in the 3D CAD software:

The test print of the 3D printed part exceeded my expectation:

The row of openings in the ribs on the DTTX prototype provide a protected pathway for the plumbing.  It is a very prominent feature, but difficult to incorporate in a model.  The manufacturing hurdles have proven too difficult for them to be featured on a production model.  The cost of tooling for an injection mold to produce those opening in the ribs would be astronomical.  Consequently, the various HO models offered of DTTX well cars (with ribs on the sides) will either mold the plumbing into the sides (Atlas) or omit them all together (Walthers).  Until 3D printing was a possibility the only option was to accept the offered models as is, or embark on a long and complicated kitbash most likely involving etched metal parts to be folded for each rib. 

This part confirmed my hope that the 3D printer could indeed print these difficult areas successfully.  The potential of this printer to produce complex parts in miniature boggles the mind!  I have at least 2 dozen projects on my To-Do-List that will no longer be built with the usual kitbashing method, but are now candidates for 3D printing.   This is the dawn of a new age.  The ability for a hobbyist to generate one-off models of desired prototypes is finally here.  For the cost of a few DCC sound locomotives, a 3D printer can be purchased to print parts no one else offers.  The production of high-quality parts becomes decentralized.  It is nothing short of a paradigm shift.  

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/20 02:06 by tmotor.

Date: 01/21/20 00:46
Author: funnelfan

Which CAD program are you using to design the parts?

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 01/21/20 01:26

funnelfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Which CAD program are you using to design the
> parts?

Fusion 360
They offer a free "hobbyist" license, which is assumed to be for non-commercial use.
It is probably more complicated than Sketch-Up, but has more features from what I understand.

I had a bad experience with Sketch-Up where the version of the software I had didn't match the tutorial.  Get 5 levels deep into a menu and then the tutorial says to use the Revolve option, but it wasn't on my version, or had been moved, or some other issue.  Really frustrating.  But, it is free, so can't exactly complain.  I know there are lots of folks that use Sketch-Up and like it.  Your mileage may vary.

I am having better luck with Fusion 360 tutorials.

Date: 01/21/20 01:40
Author: funnelfan

tmotor Wrote:
> Fusion 360
> They offer a free "hobbyist" license, which is
> assumed to be for non-commercial use.

Thanks, been asking people what they are using as the programs I used years ago are no longer valid.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 01/21/20 07:49

funnelfan Wrote:
> tmotor Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Fusion 360
> > They offer a free "hobbyist" license, which is
> > assumed to be for non-commercial use.
>
> Thanks, been asking people what they are using as
> the programs I used years ago are no longer valid.

Back in the day I took a SolidWorks class at the local community college.  The student license lasted for 6 months, then expired.  Really nice software, but I was shocked to find they want $5K "per seat" :-0 
I guess they assume their software would only be used by professionals for company projects, and a company could certainly justify the expense and write it off on their taxes.  Of course, for a hobbyist, there is no way I could justify $5k for SolidWorks, but even though I am really rusty, the concepts learned are helping me with Fusion 360.

For those that already know CAD software that can generate an STL file, they are 80% of the way to generating 3D printed parts of their own design.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/20 08:55 by tmotor.

Date: 01/21/20 09:37
Author: sixaxlecentury

I had a photon, and dumped it after 3 months.  It worked great, and then it went to hell.   I replaced it with an Elegoo Mars (230$), and could not be happier.   It has been so much better then the Photon, and alot easier to work on.  My print quality has gone up,  no failures whatsoever, easier to level.     

I also use Fusion 360.   It has a wicked learning curve, but great tutorials online.    I used to use sketchup,  but its dated.   

Date: 01/21/20 18:51
Author: wabash2800

How about Shapeways Printers? Can Shapeways invest more money in higher end (and latest technolgy) printers that the modeler can't afford rather than having the modeler purchase his/her own printers?

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/20 18:52 by wabash2800.

Date: 01/25/20 11:10

wabash2800 Wrote:
> How about Shapeways Printers? Can Shapeways invest
> more money in higher end (and latest technology)
> printers that the modeler can't afford rather than
> having the modeler purchase his/her own printers?
>
> Victor A. Baird
> http://www.erstwhilepublications.com
>

Shapeways has an interesting business model.  They act as the go-between for folks that want 3D parts printed, and those that have 3D printers.  The issue is that since they do not have a massive 3D printer farm cranking out parts, they don't have the quality control of in-house production.  Their prices have been steadily rising.  Many have reported their print quality has declined, or is not as consistent as before.

I would use Shapeways to print a part that was larger than my printer can handle.  I would print it on my printer in sections to verify it is correct, then send it as a single part for them to print.  If their printer has a large print area, then multiple copies of the same part could be printed, dividing the cost.  But I have not used Shapeways for this, so it remains to be seen if the quality of the part they print is at least as good as what I already have.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/20 11:12 by tmotor.

Date: 01/26/20 13:46
Author: wabash2800

Thanks for the reply Tmotor.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.3849 seconds