Home Open Account Help 321 users online

Model Railroading > New from ScaleTrains - Trinity 5 Unit Backpacker Stack & 40' Cont

Date: 01/25/20 09:00
New from ScaleTrains - Trinity 5 Unit Backpacker Stack & 40' Cont
Author: NSTopHat

Announced earlier today at Springfield..."Earlier today at the Railroad Hobby Show in West Springfield, Massachusetts, we unveiled two all-new models: the “Backpacker” 5-Unit Articulated Well Car Set and 40’ Standard Height Corrugated Side Container.Introduced in 1986 by Pullman-Standard, the “Backpacker” features five 40’ wells.  Each well can carry a single 40’ or two 20’ containers on the bottom and a single 40’, 45’ or 48’ container loaded in the top position.  53’ containers can be “staggered” in every other well in the top position.  The Backpacker is distinguished from other well cars by its low-profile design. Our first run features original TT/Trailer Train logos and lettering.  Two road numbers also include “K” Line logos.  The bodies are die-cast metal for optimum weight and performance.  Like all Rivet Counter freight cars, the “Backpacker” features photo-etched stainless-steel see-through walkways, wire grab irons, die-cast metal knuckle couplers, trucks with rotating bearing caps, and much more.  Additional roadnames and paint schemes will be available in the future.To complement the “Backpacker”, we’re also offering an early 40’ standard-height, corrugated shipping container.  First introduced in the late 1970s/early 1980s, this common style of 40’ steel container was commonly seen in service well into the 1990s, and a common fixture on highways and intermodal trains.  It featured “square” side corrugations, as opposed to the angled style that would become prevalent, smooth rear doors, and two logo panels on each side of the container at the ends.  These design features make them stand out from later container designs.  To learn more and preorder these releases now, click the button below or visit a Select Retailer™.  Preorder reservations are due by Monday, February 24th."
There are two roadnumbers for the K-Line Backpackers and 6 roadnumbers for the early TrailerTrain scheme, Website shows a MSRP of $174.99 per 5 unit set, with an actual sell price of $134.99.

There are 6 roadnames for the 40' containers, Hanjin, Itel, NYK, Transamerica, CLOU, Kien Hung, plus an undec version. For each roadname there are 3 - 3 packs available plus a single, totalling 10 unique numbers for each name. Three packs show a sell price of $27.99 per pack and $9.99 for the single.

Russ

Date: 01/25/20 09:28
Re: New from ScaleTrains - Trinity 5 Unit Backpacker Stack & 40'
Author: SPDRGWfan

While my modeling focus is 1977-1983, I still have 3 Gunderson Twin Stacks (2 Sealand and 1 yellow SP) as well as a couple of other earlier style TT well cars.  It might be fun to add one of these and run a 1988 train now and then.

Date: 01/25/20 11:09
Author: inyosub

Sorry, I don't know if this person is an official spokesperson for Scale Trains but I have a Question.
I don't see an obvious answer in the documentation.
Re: the 40ft containers
Are these standard height or 'excess height containers?

I ask because due to a flaw in my layout design of some hidden trackage I can't stack 2 Excess height
containers on a well without them dragging the ceiling of some hidden trackage. (unfixable without major mod)
So I need to be sure at least container in each well are the shorter ones. These look to be so would
be a selling point for me.

Date: 01/25/20 11:41
Author: Hookdragkick

Zoom in on the photos on ST's website.  8 1/2 height sticker.

Date: 01/25/20 12:28
Author: inyosub

thank you Hookdragkick  didn't think to zoom
Jim Eager also point out to me the height is mentioned in the e-flyer
(though not in the web pages where I'd looked)

Date: 01/25/20 13:29
Author: sixaxlecentury

I wish they would reevaluate their TTX yellow.  The flats had the same issue – It looks like lemon yellow and is very bright. 

Date: 01/25/20 13:32
Author: toledopatch

sixaxlecentury Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wish they would reevaluate their TTX yellow. 
> The flats had the same issue – It looks like
> lemon yellow and is very bright.

I agree - it's almost Zito yellow.

Date: 01/25/20 13:42
Author: PHall

sixaxlecentury Wrote:

Of course after you get done weathering the car it should be right.
Because when was the last time you ever saw a clean TTX car?

Date: 01/25/20 14:08
Author: SP_8299

sixaxlecentury Wrote:

Trailer Train had a couple of different shades of yellow.  The yellow used in the 70s-80s was a lot brighter and different from the shade they used in the 90s.  

Date: 01/25/20 16:31
Author: Hookdragkick

inyosub Wrote:
> thank you Hookdragkick  didn't think to zoom
> Jim Eager also point out to me the height is
> mentioned in the e-flyer
> (though not in the web pages where I'd looked)

No problem. I re read the flyer. It only mentions "standard height". To those not-in-the-know, that could still confuse.

Date: 01/25/20 17:48
Author: sixaxlecentury

PHall Wrote:
> sixaxlecentury Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I wish they would reevaluate their TTX
> yellow. 
> > The flats had the same issue – It looks like
> > lemon yellow and is very bright. 
>
> Of course after you get done weathering the car it
> should be right.
> Because when was the last time you ever saw a
> clean TTX car?

Actually, I disagree to a point.   Yellow can be a very tough color to weather correctly, especially when you are starting with a borderline florescent color.  

And I agree, TTX has a few distinct shades of yellow.   But I don’t think this rendition accurately represents any of them.  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/20 17:49 by sixaxlecentury.

Date: 01/25/20 18:45
Author: needles_sub

Finally getting well cars other than Gundersons.

Posted from Android

Date: 01/26/20 13:11
Author: atsf121

needles_sub Wrote:
> Finally getting well cars other than Gundersons.
>
> Posted from Android

Agreed, now I need to budget for them.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/27/20 08:24
Author: BrammyH

Those look great. I think I will get a set.

Date: 01/27/20 14:15
Author: MrMRL

Happy to see these finally in model form! Patiently waiting for a later paint scheme so I can run them with my modern stacks for their final few years in service.

Mr. MRL

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0603 seconds