Home Open Account Help 348 users online

Model Railroading > GATX boxcar after a few years....

Date: 01/25/20 20:55
GATX boxcar after a few years....
Author: ghemr

Indeed, after the various shops rehab these 30-40 year old boxcars they look brand new again, just like when I unpackaged this Exactrail Evans 5277 boxcar recently. As much as I like the rich reddish/brown color they used, I wanted mine to look like it's a few years old. Therefore I faded the car with Rapido Proto Paint Flat Haze, added some graffiti from Blair Line and some odds and ends decals from Smokebox Graphics....

Date: 01/25/20 20:56
Re: GATX boxcar after a few years....

Date: 01/25/20 21:53
Author: tgcostello

Nice job on the roof.
TC

Date: 01/26/20 06:03
Author: aehouse

Why I don't model modern day......

Date: 01/26/20 07:01
Author: Hookdragkick

aehouse Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why I don't model modern day......

Nobody gives a crap, AEHouse. Are you going to reiterate that on each thread of modern rolling stock with graffiti? Go live in your head and admire your dusty, old stock.

Hey, Ghemr, great job again. That Flat Haze stuff works pretty good, looks like the box has seen a couple years of sunshine. I really like the fact the tack boards don't come color-matched, yours are wearing nicely. 

Date: 01/26/20 08:31
Author: bnsftall

Nice job! Love the roof as well.

dt

Date: 01/26/20 08:44
Author: Jimmies

Nice job Ghemr on the fading...and what did you use on the roof?

Jim

Date: 01/26/20 09:34

Jimmies Wrote:
> Nice job Ghemr on the fading...and what did you
> use on the roof?

I like to use small cosmetic sponges to dab various colors (burnt sienna, burnt umber, etc.) on to the roof rather than use a brush which would leave streaks. The sealer is SP Lettering Gray.

Date: 01/26/20 11:40
Author: inCHI

Looks excellent! It would have a home on the AEGAS-23 (Eagle Pass, TX FXE - East St. Louis, IL ALS) train that goes by the Texarkana, TX rail cam with 70+ boxes of Mexican beer.

Date: 01/26/20 12:25
Author: wheel_slip

Looks awesome!!! Especially like the way the trucks look. What about that KCS coil car? That looks sharp!

Andy

Date: 01/27/20 05:17
Author: WrongWayMurphy

Your trackwork looks good too.

Date: 01/27/20 09:16
Author: PHall

Is the green decal above the consolodated data box (under the G of GATX) a return to home shop decal?

Date: 01/27/20 09:59

PHall Wrote:
> Is the green decal above the consolodated data box
> (under the G of GATX) a return to home shop decal?

The green decal represents the sticker used by Union Pacific's car cleaning subcontractors.  In addition to the UP herald, there's information entered of the date and location where the car was last cleaned. This sticker is used almost exclusively on boxcars although I have seen them on a few covered hoppers. The sticker is usually placed directly above the consolidated lube panelm or within that area.  I recall quite a few boxcars serviced at Eagle Pass, TX (Kinney County Railport)

https://www.progressiverailroading.com/union_pacific/article/Union-Pacific-devotes-vast-resources-in-Texas-to-pursue-cross-border-traffic--47238

The decal is made by Smokebox Graphics.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/20 10:07 by ghemr.

Date: 01/27/20 14:12
Author: MrMRL

A (close) prototype reference... Photographed in Vernon, CA just yesterday (1/26/20).

Great model! I've got one of those GATX(ers) waiting on the shelf to do up myself.

Mr. MRL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/20 14:13 by MrMRL.

Date: 01/27/20 17:37

MrMRL Wrote:
 I've got one of those GATX(ers)
> waiting on the shelf to do up myself.
>
>
> Mr. MRL

I look forward to your interpretation!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0658 seconds