Home Open Account Help 260 users online

Model Railroading > Hidden staging on a smaller layout.

Date: 01/26/20 08:48
Hidden staging on a smaller layout.
Author: M-420

"So what's behind that hill, anyway?"

On my layout (about 8' X 9'), there is a small hidden staging yard that represents the connection to Snohomish Junction and the world beyond.
Here are a couple of views that show the staging yard behind the hill in the first photo. Total depth here front to back is just 26".

In the 2nd and 3rd photos, the Kirkland Turn behind GP-9 1740 has finished it's work on the Woodinville Sub and is pulling to a stop at Snohomish...

Brian E 

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/20 08:54 by M-420.

Date: 01/26/20 08:52
Re: Hidden staging on a smaller layout.
Author: ts1457

That's really neat, and the distance between the ridge and the backdrop gives some depth to the scenery.

Date: 01/26/20 09:44
Author: railstiesballast

Great job of using gradual gray fading of the colors on the backdrop to convey the idea of miles of distance.
Nice work all around.

Date: 01/26/20 10:04

railstiesballast Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great job of using gradual gray fading of the
> colors on the backdrop to convey the idea of miles
> of distance.
> Nice work all around.
>  

Thank you..
That part of backdrop looks better from the other side of the hill than from just a few inches away.

Date: 01/26/20 10:44
Author: tgcostello

Hi Brian,
Thanks for sharing these photos.  Your berm/set-back/hidden staging works very well both functionally and aesthetically.  Nice modeling as well.  Please post more photos of your layout, including a design drawing if possible.
Tim Costello

Date: 01/26/20 10:52
Author: wjpyper

Nice job! Considering the recent weather maybe it should be spelled Snow-homish.
Bill Pyper
Lacey, WA

Date: 01/26/20 11:20
Author: Jimmies

This looks to have been well thought out, and I completely agree that the distance from the top of the hill to the backdrop really adds to the overall perception of depth.  Nice job.

Jim

Date: 01/26/20 13:12
Author: atsf121

That looks great, nicely done.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/26/20 15:39
Author: TCnR

Was just thinking the same thing, looks like somebody had some experience designing, or building, Layouts to come up with that situation. Congrats.

The Dawson Creek Layout was a classic in simplicity but looked like fun to model and to operate. btw that name is being used for an N Scale Layout and webpage, the subject location and railroad seems to be produce some great layouts. There's also that TV series that I was fortunate to miss completely.

Date: 01/26/20 17:10

TCnR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Was just thinking the same thing, looks like
> somebody had some experience designing, or
> building, Layouts to come up with that situation.
> Congrats.
>
> The Dawson Creek Layout was a classic in
> simplicity but looked like fun to model and to
> operate. btw that name is being used for an N
> Scale Layout and webpage, the subject location and
> railroad seems to be produce some great layouts.
> There's also that TV series that I was fortunate
> to miss completely.

Thanks for remembering my BCR Dawson Creek Layout. This one is smaller and light years better than that one was,
Speaking of the N-Scale Dawson layout you mentioned: It's first rate in every possible way..

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0431 seconds