Home Open Account Help 292 users online

Model Railroading > Question on Broadway Limited CNJ Mikado

Date: 01/26/20 17:39
Question on Broadway Limited CNJ Mikado
Author: OCtrainguy

While at a recent train show, a dealer I have a lot of dealings with, had a Broadway Limited Jersey Central (CNJ) Mikado engine.  The engine is DCC equipped with Quantum sound.  I am still transitioning and learning from the DC locomotive to the DCC ready/DCC equipped with sound engines.  I would really like to get a CNJ freight steam engine. 

On this engine that was at the show, the dealer was asking $200 for it.  A quick search for this engine on the Broadway Limited website provided no results.  I know that Broadway has the Paragon 3 sound in their steam engines now.  My son seems to think this engine came out around between 2010-213, just a ballpark.  

I don't have any Broadway Limited engines yet, CNJ Blue Comet engine pending, but I've heard mostly good things about Broadway Limited, but just not sure on this one.  I know there isn't a lot of CNJ steam in the current HO scale market.  I also know that current models are north of $200 with sound and DCC.  So I am just unsure on this CNJ engine I saw.  

Any feedback and thoughts on this engine, the time frame it was released and price would be appreciated.  

Date: 01/26/20 17:59
Re: Question on Broadway Limited CNJ Mikado
Author: NYCStL776

I have 2 steamers with the quantum sound, one was released in 2004, the other in 2007. Both run very well, and pull OK too. They pull much better with the traction tires on but as most of my cars are on the lighter side I leave the tires off for better pick up. The detail is not the best, but still good. The sound is very good, especially for the price, I've heard better but the price will reflect that. I would not recommend running the engine on both DC and DCC though, the older of my 2 engines surges on digital after being run on DC, a factory reset fixed it, but still a pain. I have not tried the newer of the 2 on DC. As long as you're not switching the engine between DC and DCC constantly and aren't concerned with always having the newest thing, quantum sound is fine. Personally I'm very happy with my 2 engines. I don't model the CNJ, nor do I own a BLI 2-8-2 so I can only give info on BLIs and the quantum decoder in general.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/20 18:04 by NYCStL776.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.028 seconds