Home Open Account Help 322 users online

Model Railroading > Restoring Brittle Decals

Date: 02/05/20 11:43
Restoring Brittle Decals
Author: jburek

I have two sets of decals that I thought were relatively new.  When first attempting to use one of the sets, the decals broke apart rather easily once removed from the water.  I proceeded to spray an acrylic gloss coat over both sets.  A day later there were still issues of the decals falling apart when trying to apply them to the models.  Not only that, the solvaset solution did not work softening the decals & have them snuggle down over the details - it's as if the acrylic gloss protected them from the solvaset.  Should I have sprayed them with Testors Glosscoat instead?  I have been hearing about Microscales liquid decal solution as a way to restore bad decals.  Is this the better choice?  How do you use this stuff?  Airbrush it on or brush application??  Thanks for any help.
Jeff

Date: 02/05/20 11:47
Re: Restoring Brittle Decals
Author: Lighter

> I have been hearing about Microscales
> liquid decal solution as a way to restore bad
> decals.  Is this the better choice?

Better choice.  Brush or spray. Test first on part of the decal that isn't important.

Date: 02/05/20 16:38
Author: SPED

jburek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have two sets of decals that I thought were
> relatively new.  When first attempting to use one
> of the sets, the decals broke apart rather easily
> once removed from the water.  I proceeded to
> spray an acrylic gloss coat over both sets.  A
> day later there were still issues of the decals
> falling apart when trying to apply them to the
> models.  Not only that, the solvaset solution did
> not work softening the decals & have them snuggle
> down over the details - it's as if the acrylic
> gloss protected them from the solvaset.  Should I
> have sprayed them with Testors Glosscoat
> instead?  I have been hearing about Microscales
> liquid decal solution as a way to restore bad
> decals.  Is this the better choice?  How do you
> use this stuff?  Airbrush it on or brush
> application??  Thanks for any help.
> Jeff

Jeff,
   You are correct, the acrylic gloss protected the decals from the solvaset, you will have to replace the decals. When you get the new ones spray them with a mixture of Lacquer and Testors Glosscoat. Mix to a ratio of 80% thinner and 20% Glosscoat. You will need to apply a heavy glossy coat. Once this is dry, cut out the decals and trim as you can get and apply as usual. The decal will be a few microns thicker but it will stay together.
A few years ago when I was painting my 1941 Lark Passenger train (18 cars) I went round and round with Microscale about their decals falling apart. They said they would replace them but not run new ones. At this point I started experimentimg and finally came up with this solution. The first time I took the decals to water I slid them off the sheet and they not only stayed in one piece they actually would streach when I pulled on them! Good Luck!
Reagrds,
Ed

Date: 02/05/20 17:36
Author: icancmp193

I use the Microscale product, generally with good results.
I have Herald King and Don Manlick decals that are 20-25 years old that I use without the Microscale Liquid Decal Film.
Something less than that for Microscale decals.

TJY

Date: 02/05/20 21:57
Author: steeplecab

Jeff -
Use the liquid decal film. It goes on a little heavy, but be patient and let it dry. You'll be amazed the first time. The only way to understand how well it works is to use it yourself. There's no reason to risk a set of decals with some back-alley mix when you can have a good product from a company that makes decals. Here's the instructions for it. http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/graphics/Instructions/MSISysteminstr.pdf  It's less than the cost of a sheet of good decals and after it dries, it works just like the decal film on a factory set.
steeplecab

Date: 02/06/20 16:24
Author: joliver2k

Another vote for the Microscale Liquid Decal Film. I brush it on, it practically disappears when it dries! I write a note on a bare area of the sheet to remind me that it has been coated so I don't waste time re-coating if I set the sheet aside for a while. This stuff just works!

Regards,
Jeff Oliver

Date: 02/07/20 05:37
Author: RailBaron84

I've used Krylon Crystal Clear with decent results. If I know the decal is old, or hard to get, I'll also usually scan or take a photo of it so I can get it remade for me in case I mess soemthing up too.

Date: 02/09/20 15:28
Author: jburek

Thanks Jeff,  I ordered a bottle & will
give it a try.
Jeff

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0517 seconds