Home Open Account Help 292 users online

Model Railroading > Southern Pacific in 1/8 scale

Date: 03/21/20 11:09
Southern Pacific in 1/8 scale
Author: Digger

Thankfully before the pandemic hit and the California Governor ordered everyone to stay home, my son Paul and I were able to take out our train and test run it. The months of November, December, January and February were a busy time of going through and handling maintenance. Mostly basic maintenance such as replacing brake shoes, cleaning the injector, a boiler wash, amoung other things. I did some paint work, too. Seems like a had a punch list a mile long! Of course all that was completed as time permitted with holiday activites, kid's sporting events, business trips, and such. It is just really nice to see all the efforts pay off when everything comes together and works as it should. All this was done in anticipation of listing our train for sale this year. A friend has a locomotive we would like to purchase, but this one must be sold first. That is what keeps my wife happy and supportive of my hobby! Anyway, I was able to get some cool video from the day out for our test run. Enjoy!

Chris Donhost
Vacaville, CA  

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 03/21/20 11:27
Re: Southern Pacific in 1/8 scale

While I'm at it, here are a few other favorites. The first two shots were filmed at Train Mountain Railroad, and the third is a drone shot of the Sacramento Valley Live Steamers. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/20 12:15 by Digger.

Date: 03/21/20 11:48
Author: boejoe

Interesting series.  I like how the videos start out with the shortest and continue to the longest.  Is this live steamer layout in a park?  Grounds look quite nice.

Date: 03/21/20 12:07

boejoe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Interesting series.  I like how the videos start
> out with the shortest and continue to the
> longest.  Is this live steamer layout in a
> park?  Grounds look quite nice.

Funny, the video length was unintentional, lol. Yes, this layout is in the Sacramento area at Hagen Community Park. It sits on approximately 20 acres. Here is a link to the club's website: https://www.svlsrm.org/

Videos #4 & #5 in this series were actually filmed at Train Mountain Railroad in Chiloquin, Oregon: http://trainmtn.org/tmrr/index.shtml 

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/20 12:10 by Digger.

Date: 03/22/20 19:25
Author: rapidotrains

Digger Wrote:
>  Seems like a
> had a punch list a mile long! Of course all that
> was completed as time permitted with holiday
> activites, kid's sporting events, business trips,
> and such. It is just really nice to see all the
> efforts pay off when everything comes together and
> works as it should. 

Chris,

This looks like a lot of fun! It is refreshing to hear of another modeler who deals with the same struggles of trying to find time for the hobby while raising a family and having a career. Your son looks like he's long been a pro at this. 

There's a reason why most of our fellow modelers are retired... they have the time, the space and the money that we don't have! :-D 

-Jason

Date: 03/23/20 18:49

rapidotrains Wrote:
>
> Chris,
>
> Your son looks like he's long been a pro at this. 
>
> -Jason

Jason,

Paul has been at this for 7 years now. He has been a student of steam his entire life! I try to indoctrinate every chance I get;-) 

This first video Paul and his brother Eli explain the operation of a steam locomotive, they were 4-years old at the time. The second video their mother is enjoying a 4449 roll-by with them in 2011. The last video is the first time Paul operated our steam locomotive, that was back in 2013. His brother is operating the flag, lol. 

Chris 

Chris 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/20 18:53 by Digger.

Date: 03/24/20 19:42
Author: ashifley

Very nice, Chris!

Alan Shifley

Date: 03/24/20 20:08

ashifley Wrote:
> Very nice, Chris!
>
> Alan Shifley

Thanks Alan! I hope to see you out on the rails soon. 
~C

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.046 seconds