Home Open Account Help 381 users online

Model Railroading > BS RR " New Yard "

Date: 03/21/20 19:21
BS RR " New Yard "
Author: miralomarail

Due to a lack of a Engineering Dept, the owners of the BS RR ( Beaumont Switching ) located in Beaumont, Ca along Beaumnt Hill are asking for help

Owned by MS Beau Hill & and her Brother Monty Hill , are requesting help to locate proper Curved Turnouts ( PECO ) ? that will be used to fit inside of a 22 Radius Curve of the New Switching yard needed  because of the Huge increase of Boxcar's being move , it started a few weeks ago when the leader of the local area our line deals with and the Huge amount of cars being loaded at the Tea Paper Co. and the BS Factory , with most cars going to Wash DC and Various State Capitol's has over whealmed switching.

The track Dept/ Section Foremen ========================ME                    Is wondering if the PECO Co makes any small Radius Curved turnouts to build a ladder of Right Hand Curved Turnouts of 22 R if possible , the enclosed Drawing was provided at Little expense , it having been found in a Bathroom of the TEA Paper Co on line.

Regards,
Tom aka Track/Car Dept/Locomotive and everything else Thanks in Advance of any Track Dept Managers of any of the Class One RR's we  " Borrow " from.

Date: 03/22/20 08:33
Re: BS RR " New Yard "
Author: ChrisCampi

Atlas makes a 22 inside and 30 outside. Walthers a 20 inside and 24 outside.

Date: 03/22/20 11:03
Author: tomstp

I don't think you can build that yard as shown because switches take up a lot more length than your drawing allows.

I confess I used to make such drawings only to find out "no way".  Get the switches you want by radius and then lay them out on your plywood or whatever.

There are  some specialty switch makers that can help you achieve more of what you are wanting. They build shorter switches that are still within radius limits that provide more switches in less space.    Look in model magazines for them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/20 11:05 by tomstp.

Date: 03/22/20 11:34
Author: ChrisCampi

tomstp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't think you can build that yard as shown
> because switches take up a lot more length than
> your drawing allows.
>
> I confess I used to make such drawings only to
> find out "no way".  Get the switches you want by
> radius and then lay them out on your plywood or
> whatever.
>
> There are  some specialty switch makers that can
> help you achieve more of what you are wanting.
> They build shorter switches that are still within
> radius limits that provide more switches in less
> space.    Look in model magazines for them.

Good point. I think that third track would have to go. After that some turnout shorting may get him there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/20 13:59 by ChrisCampi.

Date: 03/22/20 12:11
Author: PHall

The new Micro Engineering #5 switches might work. They're short and make a pretty good "pinwheel" yard lead.

Date: 03/22/20 17:46
Author: miralomarail

Thanks to all who answered, due to a Huge increase from the Tea Paper & our other Companies The Broken Chair Factory and the SPAM works we remain busy

Date: 03/22/20 17:57
Author: robert162

I have a few Atlas 22/30 R  i strongly suggest another brand.  IMHO.  robert

Date: 03/23/20 06:50
Author: SPDRGWfan

Here is how I did two different curved yard throats - all code 100 as it was staging.  Minimum curve radius IIRC was 34 inches and larger. 

Turnouts used were mostly #6 regular and one 3-way.  The small curved turnouts are Peco Streamline with outer radius 60" and inner radius 30".  Two Shinohara #8 left hand are also used, nominal outer radius 36" and inner 32".  Some report the inner is actually 30".

Cheers, Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/20 11:49 by SPDRGWfan.

Date: 03/23/20 06:52

Here are two more photo's from the other end, a different configuration to consider.

This happens to be a staging yard and was configured to handle long rolling stock.

Date: 03/23/20 10:42
Author: tomstp

The question is:  from the start of  first switch to the last switch including clearence from the last switch, what is the actual length?  I would guess around 5 - 6 ft...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/20 10:44 by tomstp.

Date: 03/23/20 11:53

Much longer in my case.

In my staging yard, the shortest capacity was 13 feet (10th track out from the wall) and the longest was 22 feet closest track to the wall), and that in a room that was 10x18'.  Staging yard was 24" wide. I squeezed in as much staging as possible.  Here are a couple more photo's showing the body of the yard with 11 tracks,  First photo is under construction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/20 11:55 by SPDRGWfan.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0627 seconds