Home Open Account Help 314 users online

Model Railroading > Rapido RailCrew uncoupling magnets

Date: 04/07/20 19:45
Rapido RailCrew uncoupling magnets
Author: trackplanner

Wondering if anyone with experience using these could share some comments. They look interesting and simpler than the Kadee Electromagnets. 

Thanks,
Don

Date: 04/08/20 15:20
Re: Rapido RailCrew uncoupling magnets
Author: rapidotrains

So seeing as nobody has answered this...

I actually haven't installed any yet on my layout. Loads of switch machines, but as I am a ways away from operation, I don't want to install the uncouplers until I know where I will need them.

That being said, I have seen many installed by my friend Randy Schnarr - he has a whole display layout he takes to shows. He's the guy who invented them! They work very reliably. As for how easy it is to install, I suspect it is like the switch machines. The first one took me well over an hour. After a few I had it down to ten minutes plus soldering time. I prefer to solder my connections rather than use the terminal.

I will be offline until Saturday night. Have a great Easter/Passover everybody!

-Jason

Date: 04/08/20 16:41
Author: trackplanner

Thanks Jason, I was tempted to ask you directly, but knew you would of course have a little bias, since it is your product, lol! I plan to give mine to Tim Dickinson to test on his BN layout when this virus issue is over, as his Kadee versions are less than what he had expected. 

Don DeLay

Date: 04/09/20 08:59
Author: JeffZCT

I use one on the scale at my coal mine. so far so good. After weighing the cars uncouple and roll onto their assigned tracks.

Date: 04/09/20 13:23
Author: rosenth

Hi,

I installed a couple of them and they work very well. Quite easy to install and hook up. Nice...

Lukas (Allschwil/Switzerland)

Date: 04/10/20 16:04
Author: johns

I've installed about a dozen, mostly in areas where manual uncoupling is difficult.  And they do work well.  I'm finding which trip pins need adjusting but that's a good thing.  I have found that cars with steel axles will still tend to "attract" to the magnets, even in the "off" mode.  To counter this, I've tried lowering the device about an 1/8 of an inch from the bottom of the ties.  This seems to have solved that problem.  Instructions say to position the uncoupler flush to the bottom of the ties.  I would buy more if I find new places where they might be needed.

As for manual uncoupling, I've tried the various tools sold for this purpose.  For me, these work "most" of the time.  Then a few months ago, I tried a round wooden toothpick.  For me, this is the answer!  Push down, rock a little to the side...done.  Only exception, shelf couplers.

john

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.042 seconds