Home Open Account Help 399 users online

Model Railroading > 5 x 9 ping-pong table as basis for HO-gauge model RR

Date: 04/08/20 21:00
5 x 9 ping-pong table as basis for HO-gauge model RR
Author: DocJohn

This topic was discussed some years back on TO.  Has anyone done this recently?  I am at my second home in DeLand, FL, and it is going to take a long time to get my layout in my Macon, GA, home moved, and I miss having a model RR. 

I don't have the tools and skills to build a train table, and apparently none who advertise such services want my business.  Here is what I am thinking.  Get a portable full-size ping-pong table.  Get Lowes, Home Depot, or similar to deliver three 4 X 8 sheets of Homasote.  Cut Homasote in several sections to cover the ping-pong table (Homasote is my favorite substrate for laying track), and affix to ping-pong table with double-stick tape or similar removable adhesive system.  Use a router or similar to cut "trenches" in the Homasote for wiring.  I am going to have to get another Digitrax DCC system as well as some track.  However, I have enough unused turnouts, track, motive power, and rolling stock for several more layouts.  It is just a matter of having my secretary pack them up and send them to me.

Suggestions

Thank you,

John

Date: 04/09/20 07:10
Re: 5 x 9 ping-pong table as basis for HO-gauge model RR
Author: wpdude

Haven't seen it done lately, when I was a kid, we had a neighbor who would set up O-27 track on his table. I would say it's probably not the most stable platform, and watch out for it not being perfectly level where the 2 halves meet in middle (where the net would go across for ping-pong). But, it beats looking at your equipment on the shelf in boxes!!!

Date: 04/09/20 07:14
Author: ChrisCampi

When I was a kid I had a ping pong table I would sent up track on. Worked fine. I see no reason your idea wouldn't work with the homesite or foam overlay. You could even go 6x10 if you wanted. But you don't have to limit yourself to the ping pong table as your base. There's plenty of inexpensive folding tables out there you could use also. Two or three of those could get you a shape that might better suit whatever space you have available.

Date: 04/09/20 07:20
Author: Charls

Just frame it under so as not sag, use No More Nail glue from Lepage so you dont have nail popping out on the surface and you should be fine for the size of a normal table

Date: 04/09/20 07:23
Author: WAF

ping pong tables, slab of 3/4 inch 4x8 plywood on saw horses, the 60s layouts for beginners

Date: 04/09/20 07:57
Author: jburek

You're correct about the homasote - best stuff for laying track handlaid or flextrack.   Holds spikes well, is sound dampening, easy to work with.

Date: 04/09/20 08:00
Author: icancmp193

WAF Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ping pong tables, slab of 3/4 inch 4x8 plywood on
> saw horses, the 60s layouts for beginners

That's how my Dad did it! Started with the 4x8 and expanded with the ping-pong table.

TJY

Date: 04/09/20 08:03
Author: railstiesballast

Knowing it is a temporary layout gives you freedom to experiment with lots of things.
But running a router for wire trenches in Homosote may cause a local dust storm, you might consider doing a "V" with two cuts from a utility knive?  That is what I did.

Date: 04/10/20 12:26
Author: trackplanner

Check out Tony Koester's recent O Scale project layout he takes to shows in recent Model Railroaders. 

Date: 04/11/20 11:33
Author: WrongWayMurphy

Maybe your big box stores differ from ours, but neither 
Lowes or Home Depot carry Homasote here in Tyler, Tex.

There is no option to order from them either.

Date: 04/11/20 21:08

Thank you very much for the heads-up.  Thomas Lumber in the Orlando area (about 30 miles from me) stocks the 440 Homasote.  They also do custom millwork and home delivery.  I have asked my carpenter to quote on the job.  If someone has a list of precut pieces of lumber and plywood that are needed for a 5 x 9 traintable,  I could put it together myself.  I just don't have the power tools (except electroc drills and screw drivers) to cut the lumber and plywood.

John

Date: 04/14/20 11:22

Looks like this is going to be a DIY project.  What thickness/grade of plywood to you recommend for putting under the Homasote?

Thank you in advance.

John

Date: 04/14/20 19:47
Author: TrackGuy

Doc,

1/2" plywood should be more than sufficient.  1/4" probably not quite rigid enough.

TrackGuy

Date: 04/14/20 19:51
Author: TrackGuy

Doc,

Do a little searching online for L-girder benchwork.  Any carpenter worth their salt should be able to build you a 5x9 or 6x10 or whatever size benchwork you want after looking at a few photos of L-girder construction.  Each L-girder is 1x4 with 1x2 top flange, screwed and glued together.  Use 2x2's for legs with leveling screws drilled into the bottom of the legs.  Use 1x2's for lateral and longitudinal braces and 1x4's for joists sitting crosswise on the top of the two L-girders.  A framework that size is less than a day's work for a good carpenter with basic power tools.

TrackGuy

Date: 04/15/20 04:32
Author: SPDRGWfan

I'm not a carpenter worth my salt and being an amateur open grid seems to work well enough.

I like using Homasote for yard areas.

Cheers

Date: 04/17/20 12:51

Thank you very much for the pictures.  John

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0783 seconds